generating referrals.

I'm bored crapless with telephone sales. My closing percentage isn't anywhere close to when I meet with people.

I've actually given this a lot of thought over the past 2 months. I've started getting very depressed lately and the bottom line is it's a lack of contact with the human popluation. I'm up here in my home office feeling more like a glorified telemarketer than an insurance agent.

Yes, I'm back to face to face with almost everyone.

Generating referrals...

Mirroring your client.. so true. Awesome advice. In sales positions something I have always done.

a true DEAL BREAKER -- I learned a long time ago. Is talking toooo soon.

Hold your "silent" spot as they say. Ask your question.. such as asking for the business.. then SHUT UP. Not to be so blunt, but you are forcing the other person to answer.
First one who talks LOSES. Comes in handy doing phone sales.

Once I ask for the business. I sit there... it does not matter if there is 3 minutes of silence. There never usually is. BUT the person on the other end is "expecting you" to back pedal, and try to take back something you said etc. etc.

Many good agents can lose business by talking too soon, too much!

JR, Not to be a smart-ass, good point.

Working in the senior market I have discovered that those people have learned not to expect anything from their agent. So few ever even return their phone calls let alone talk to them after making the sale.

I do have a riding mower, but I mow four acres. We also have 4 horses, two dogs and a mule. I would love to find an agent who would do all of that. Still interested? haha

I see John's point in looking like every other agent, but the mirroring, the pausing, and all the other techniques should be done with a natural flow.

With the senior market, I do get right down to business. I have been with agents that do the nice house, those your kids, blah blah blah. I have seen that most clients want to know that you know what you are talking about. Build their trust with your product knowledge, and that will overlap into the personal side of things.

The sales process should seem like a conversation. Not a pitch. I do not use a presentation book. I just use the materials that I have and walk them through.

Linda - Thank you for your kind words. I have updates to post this weekend (I am on my other computer), so I will make sure it makes it up this weekend.

That is a great idea. I am going to make a little cheat sheet for my brokers that gives the basics of Medicare.

More of it is simply a matter of dealing with different personality types. I'll sit down with extremely friendly clients who want to chat. If you blow off chatting and they initiate it you can come off as rude. Other clients give you cues to get right down to business.

I prefer to get down to business.

JR, Not to be a smart-ass, good point.

Working in the senior market I have discovered that those people have learned not to expect anything from their agent. So few ever even return their phone calls let alone talk to them after making the sale.

I do have a riding mower, but I mow four acres. We also have 4 horses, two dogs and a mule. I would love to find an agent who would do all of that. Still interested? haha

Give me information on the types of horses you have and we might be able to work at an agreement.

No, I start next week. I've spent the last few days setting up all my appointments face to face for next week. Today will be my last day sitting in my home office.

Back