generating referrals.

I see John's point in looking like every other agent, but the mirroring, the pausing, and all the other techniques should be done with a natural flow.

With the senior market, I do get right down to business. I have been with agents that do the nice house, those your kids, blah blah blah. I have seen that most clients want to know that you know what you are talking about. Build their trust with your product knowledge, and that will overlap into the personal side of things.

The sales process should seem like a conversation. Not a pitch. I do not use a presentation book. I just use the materials that I have and walk them through.

This going to sound like I am talking out of both sides of my mouth: But, I agree with you.

In my person-to-person selling: My only small talk is getting into the house or office. I try to find one sincere compliment I can make or relate to.

If the person is being noticeably defensive I do stop and address it. We have to have a common goal for us to proceed.

I feel that any more conversation does nothing but increase tension.

Linda

Last edited:
Welcome back to the wild world of Windshield Time John.

If you are ever in Kansas City, please refrain from using your turn signal. That way you will blend in.

This going to sound like I am talking out of both sides of my mouth: But, I agree with you.

In my person-to-person selling: My only small talk is getting into the house or office. I try to find one sincere compliment I can make or relate to.

If the person is being noticeably defensive I do stop and address it. We have to have a common goal for us to proceed.

I feel that any more conversation does nothing but increase tension.

Linda

There's not many objections when I do face to face. I don't run appointments to be a free information giver. I qualify everything over the phone before turning the key in my car; detailed health pre-screen, the product they currently have, doctors in-network, and we've already run though some rates over the phone.

So you are still sorta, kinda, gonna be an "underwear agent", just put your pants on to collect the money.

That is the way I have sold for the past six or seven years. I also found that I too was spending too much time being a free information giver. When I go on an appointment I want to know that I have at least an 80+% chance of coming back with a signed app. Most often its a 100% chance.

I have even had people thank me for the information and tell me they were going to contact "their agent" and tell him exactly what they wanted.

When one is trying to build trust and loyalty nothing replaces a face to face meeting. It is much easier to get referrals that way also.

I believe people still prefer to place their trust in, and give their money to a "real person" as opposed to a voice on the phone. Especially when purchasing health insurance. Selling life insurance may be different.

Linda,

Selling he way John is talking about makes the appointment a lot more relaxed and gives plenty of time for all the "warm and fuzzy" stuff.

I believe I have stated before that I also want my clients to know me as a person, not just as an insurance agent. I'm sure that is one reason my referral business is so good.

To me, selling is still a personal thing. All of the advances in technology are not going to replace a hand shake and a smile.

Frank,

I agree whole heartedly on how you sell. I especially value your opinions, since your concentrate on the senior market, which is my interest.

John P. also makes a valid point of establishing if there is a need for the client to change before he makes an appointment. I also agree with him on many of his thoughts on selling.

Although I am very interested in educating, my purpose is to earn a living at the same time. I too want to know there is a need for the person to change, ...their doctors and hospitals will take the plan, ...and the decision maker will be present, or involved, before I meet with a client. This is true no matter what product I sell. It could be a mutual fund, ...a mortgage, ...or an insurance policy.

I still believe finding a way to connect while getting to the kitchen table is needed to show respect to my hosts. But, then getting to the point is very important. As I believe somarco said, during the sales process I can learn more about them, and they can assess if they trust me. For me, getting to the point lowers stress.

Once that is behind me, then I can set back and complete the connection. Then I can ask if they were helped. Then I ask if there is anyone else I can help.

I have heard those who say that you should ask for five names. Think if you were asked to do that? if it wouldn't feel like you were being hustled? It means you will make them uncomfortable and weaken the newly established trust. I ask for one or two names. Most can do that.

I also ask them to do it for me. ...not for their friends. It is strange, but I have found referrals come as a thank you to me, not for loyality to their friends. ...Never have understood this.

Linda

Linda,

We think alike. I also feel it is important to "connect". The degree to which I do that depends entirely on the person I am trying to connect with. Read their body language and they will tell you what they want.

I sell me, I don't sell insurance. If they will "buy me" they will even buy the used microwave I have in the trunk of my car. :D

I never ask for "five names" or even one. That is the surest way to destroy that "warm and fuzzy" feeling I worked hard to establish.

I simply put a PS at the bottom of each letter I send them asking if they know someone else I can help with their insurance needs to please give them my number.

Referrals are a thank you for your help as an agent/person. People love to do nice things for people who are nice to them.

My way of selling works for me. Each agent has to find their own comfort level and use the approach that best suits who they are. If you try to be someone who you are not, both you and your prospect will be uncomfortable.

I've never tried to sell insurance over the phone and really don't think that I have the "backbone" even to try;Frank we've talked about this; but in today's world I personally would never under any circumstances give out personal info. out over the phone to someone I've never met or had no prior biz relationship with. Way too many scam artists out there for me to give someone my SS# over the phone to. How do you lead into that with someone? Now I know someone's gonna say people do it on the internet all the time and peopll do it with other entities but I don't know.:skeptical:

If I sell a policy over the phone and don't go see the person it is usually to a referral. Even though I have never met the person there already is an element of trust because they have talked to one of my clients before calling me.

Although, people seem to be a lot less hesitant about giving that information over the phone than they use to be. At least that has been my experience. They are opting to do that rather than spend the time in an appointment. They may still be somewhat skeptical but everyone is in such a "hurry" today that they are willing to do that to "save time". It doesn't seem logical.

When I am "cold calling", if I get someone who is interested I engage them in conversation and do what John does. After they have all the information I suggest that they pick a time that is convenient for them and set an appointment. I also let them know if it will work better for them that I can fill out the app over the phone and send it to them for their signature.

More and more people are saying, "let's do that, I'm really going to be busy for the next few weeks".

I smile and start writing.

My "goal" is to write one policy a day that stays on the books. Think about that. One policy a day is 260 policies a year. (52 five day weeks.) My average commission is about $24 per policy per month, $288 per year. $288 x 260 = $74,880 per year. That is just in new business. Add renewals to that and pretty soon you are talking about a fair amount of change.

An average of one a day is not that difficult to do if one is willing to put in the time. During the best month I ever had, by a long shot, I wrote about 70 policies.

That was when Advantra, an HMO, said they were going to cancel people, and all I did that month was literally write apps. If I hadn't been able to print a list of everyone I had talked to over the past several years who told me they had Advantra that never would have happened. I took the next week off. :D

My goal is still to write a policy a day.

I agree that the "in person" touch is worth its weight in gold. That's why Internet leads work well with me. My office is a landmark in the area (700 employees and donates beaucoups of bucks locally). They often feel it is a "treat" to be invited to our complex. Of course...sometimes, they "trick" me and aren't interested at all.

Back