Looking for a Dental Vision Hearing type plan in Minnesota

70% of what? 80% of what?

If you think your plan will pay those percentages of what is billed by the dentist you are most likely going to be disappointed.
That's the way goillini and rousemark have always explained that particular plan, it pays percentage of what you pay to dentist, up to cash limit of policy.

Insurance is not designed to be an investment.
But that is basically what Jimmy is spewing. He basically says that one should not buy dental "insurance" unless they can recover the cost of their premiums in dental services. To me that totally ignores the principle of using insurance (dental or otherwise) to reduce the level of financial risk in one's life.

Is ameritas still your choice?
Yes, a good bang for the buck in my opinion when the tooth doc is in network. And the VSP add on for vision is not bad either, easy to use (and sell, many coming off employer had "VSP"), no "self claims" or "reimbursement" forms to mess with.

Insurance is not designed to be an investment.

That old critter don't know if he is foot or horseback. Hes like a moth that got drawn to the back porch light that wont go away.
But that is basically what Jimmy is spewing. He basically says that one should not buy dental "insurance" unless they can recover the cost of their premiums in dental services. To me that totally ignores the principle of using insurance (dental or otherwise) to reduce the level of financial risk in one's life.

That is not what I am saying at all. The truth that you are so desperate not to understand is you can never get out of these plans more then you have paid in premiums. These wanna be Dental Insurance Plans my wanna be insurance agent friend are not really insurance at all but a savings plan that pays no interest and charges you fees.

The truth is that you fancy yourself as some kind of intelligent well informed consumer who really knows what he is doing and you are not liking my suggestion here that any 2nd grader armed with the knowledge of simple math could show you that these plans are losers designed to be feel good policies for the uninformed and foolish. You can click your heels 2 or 3 times and say you have a Dental Plan but what you have in reality is nothing but a very bad savings plan at best.

In short you are a failure as an educated insurance consumer. You have fallen for a bogus policy that any simpleton could see is worthless. You need to pick up your game because right now you stink at it.

70% of what? 80% of what?

If you think your plan will pay those percentages of what is billed by the dentist you are most likely going to be disappointed.

I just got a check in the mail yesterday for 60% of my cleaning. (I was wrong, haven’t quite hit my second year yet)
The only thing they wouldn’t pay 60% was on the flouride treatment. In two months it will be 70%.

After going through the whole bill they paid exactly 60% of everything that was list price.

Why wouldn’t they in the future?

I’m pretty sure this plan pays on list price not on normal and customary charges. And for my first two claims it has held true.

Yes, a good bang for the buck in my opinion when the tooth doc is in network. And the VSP add on for vision is not bad either, easy to use (and sell, many coming off employer had "VSP"), no "self claims" or "reimbursement" forms to mess with.
Thanks for that feedback for op. I hope that presents him with one possible solution.

I just got a check in the mail yesterday for 60% of my cleaning. (I was wrong, haven’t quite hit my second year yet)
The only thing they wouldn’t pay 60% was on the flouride treatment. In two months it will be 70%.

After going through the whole bill they paid exactly 60% of everything that was list price.

Why wouldn’t they in the future?

I’m pretty sure this plan pays on list price not on normal and customary charges. And for my first two claims it has held true.
Yes, you're on Actual Charges. When they raised the rates a few months ago, they went to paying on usual and customary charges, but you and I are still on Actual Charges. Any new policies issued are usual and customary charges. Hated to see them make that change, but it's still the best plan. I think almost everybody else pays on usual and customary charges. UNL pays on Actual charges.

only thing they wouldn’t pay 60% was on the flouride treatment.

So it really isn't 60% of everything.

Unless this carrier has figured out a way to do something no other carrier has, or you just happen to use inexpensive dentists, the "percent of everything" plans won't make it.

I sold Hoosier Dental plans years ago, both group and individual. They had percent plans as well but it was a percent of their own fee schedule.

Their premiums were higher than similar plans but so were their fee shedules.

Competing plans had lower premiums but typically left policyholders with a lot of OOP and complaints about things that were not covered.

There really is no majic to the insurance business. When a carrier pays out more than it takes in the carrier or the plan goes away.

Not being argumentative, but 2 claims is not a statistical sample.

Back