Medicare Millionaire

If you go to my Facebook Medicare Millionaire page, I just posted a video regarding why I'm not selling over the phone

Okay, I watched the video. I like your passion and you seem like a good dude who's probably fun to hang out with. Now, with that said, I think you may have a somewhat narrow view of what phone sales can be. You describe a captive position like with UHC. And you also seem to allude to a person stuck in a cubicle making calls all day, even into the evening. Another thing you imply is that a person selling over the phone has no control over their schedule.

Let me introduce you to a different scenario. When I first started selling Medicare products, I was selling some to my current book of business (I had already been in the business for quite some time selling life, health and securities and some of those clients were turning 65 and asking about Medicare). Seeing that this could be a way to provide some steady income, I decided to start buying internet leads for Med Supps. I slowly built my book of business as I still focused on my other lines. Virtually all of the internet leads were sold over the phone. In those days, I'd take the application over the phone, mail it to them for signatures with a postage paid return envelope and then submit the application when I got it back (in 12 plus years of selling Medicare products, I only recall one time that I didn't get the application back in the mail). Selling over the phone was a necessity due to the location of many of these leads. It just wasn't feasible to drive an hour or more each way to take the application (in some cases these people were 2-3 hours away). When I saw how receptive they were to doing business this way, I just started stating to prospects this is how we get an app completed. I can honestly say that I never had a single person object to completing an application over the phone. If they were within a 30 minute drive I would let them know we could handle it one of two ways and give them the option to meet or send it in the mail. The majority of time those folks were fine with the mail.

I stopped buying leads long ago and work on nothing but referrals now. And virtually all of my apps are completed electronically without me driving to see the client. My schedule is my own. I don't have to set aside time each day to drive to see anyone. If a referral calls me and I'm not there, they typically leave a message and I return the call when I get back to my office (which is in my home). Sometimes they email me and let me know one of my clients referred them. Either way, I spend maybe 30-45 minutes on the phone with them educating them and asking questions so we can figure out which option they prefer (Med Supp or MAPD). I then run comparisons for PDP (MAPD if that's what they prefer) and get back with them. Once they are ready to move forward, most every carrier now has an e-app so we complete it electronically. Of the MAPD and PDP's I write, only UHC doesn't have an e-app where I don't have to be F2F, so those apps are generally mailed. As I said earlier, if they are close enough to meet F2F I will give them that option.

This post isn't to say you are wrong and I'm right. It's just to provide you with more information. My time is valuable so I use it as efficiently as possible. And for me, spending 2-4 hours in the car each day isn't very efficient, at least not for me. If it works for you, that's great.

spending 2-4 hours in the car each day isn't very efficient,

Absolutely.

Even with a cell phone there are so many things you cannot do, not to mention the distraction of talking on the phone while staring into your dashcam to record video's.

Scott and I have a similar business model except his book is more diverse and he is better looking. When I am on the phone with clients and prospective clients I use a headset. I ask questions, take notes and look up rates, answers, etc on my computer.

Often I am composing an email to send out with a proposal to the person on the other end of the phone. The information is there in seconds and we can discuss the report(s) as well as the email.

Windshield time is dead time for me even with a cell phone.

The folks who never answer their phone will probably not answer the door either. If they don't answer the phone, return my call, and/or if we don't connect within 2 - 3 days of them getting a rate quote on my site I close their file (and tell them so) and move on.

The take away can work by phone/email just as well as it does in person.

When I did F2F in the past I made presentations in conference rooms, offices of C level execs, in the air conditioned office of a sweat shop, standing over a copy machine (because there were no chairs) and on the hood of a car in 90 degree sun. Of all the places I have made my pitch the 19th hole is my favorite.

Had a Saturday AM appointment with a fellow that lived in a golf community. Even though the appointment was confirmed by phone the day before when I got to his house the wife told me he was on the golf course. I went to the 19th hole and waited. When he walked in with his foursome I got up and introduced myself. He excused himself from his party, joined me at another table. I reviewed our prior discussions then took out an application. He signed the papers, I left and he rejoined his foursome.

I don't chase people any more, they chase me.

And I never have to leave my house unless I want to.

I completely agree sman, I am so glad I am not a door knocker driving all over NJ. Our agency sells tons over the phone now. I work in my office, own the hours I choose to work. The only time I jump in my car is to do a seminar for people turning 65. The agents that contract under our agency drive all over the state tracking down people. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. The one thing that everybody on the forum will agree with is, develop a system, find a system that works and optimize your approach. I love it when we sell 6 -7 a cases a week on the phone and never have to leave the office.

Now, with that said, I think you may have a somewhat narrow view of what phone sales can be.

I'd say this is a huge understatement. Entertaining to watch and listen though.

BTW I'm pretty sure people who work independently at home selling Medicare by phone can leave and go to Home Depot to buy a can of paint during the day too. :biggrin:

people who work independently at home selling Medicare by phone can leave and go to Home Depot to buy a can of paint during the day too

I have never found a paint brush that feels good in my hand, so I let my wife buy the paint and brushes. She's no Van Gogh but at least she has 2 ears.

I'd say this is a huge understatement. Entertaining to watch and listen though.

BTW I'm pretty sure people who work independently at home selling Medicare by phone can leave and go to Home Depot to buy a can of paint during the day too. :biggrin:

Yes, that is definitely within the realm of possibility. But like Bob, I let the wife handle it since she picks the color. Plus, she's a Domestic Goddess so she has a little more free time than I do. Mainly because she plays less golf than I do.

Okay, I watched the video. I like your passion and you seem like a good dude who's probably fun to hang out with. Now, with that said, I think you may have a somewhat narrow view of what phone sales can be. You describe a captive position like with UHC. And you also seem to allude to a person stuck in a cubicle making calls all day, even into the evening. Another thing you imply is that a person selling over the phone has no control over their schedule.

Let me introduce you to a different scenario. When I first started selling Medicare products, I was selling some to my current book of business (I had already been in the business for quite some time selling life, health and securities and some of those clients were turning 65 and asking about Medicare). Seeing that this could be a way to provide some steady income, I decided to start buying internet leads for Med Supps. I slowly built my book of business as I still focused on my other lines. Virtually all of the internet leads were sold over the phone. In those days, I'd take the application over the phone, mail it to them for signatures with a postage paid return envelope and then submit the application when I got it back (in 12 plus years of selling Medicare products, I only recall one time that I didn't get the application back in the mail). Selling over the phone was a necessity due to the location of many of these leads. It just wasn't feasible to drive an hour or more each way to take the application (in some cases these people were 2-3 hours away). When I saw how receptive they were to doing business this way, I just started stating to prospects this is how we get an app completed. I can honestly say that I never had a single person object to completing an application over the phone. If they were within a 30 minute drive I would let them know we could handle it one of two ways and give them the option to meet or send it in the mail. The majority of time those folks were fine with the mail.

I stopped buying leads long ago and work on nothing but referrals now. And virtually all of my apps are completed electronically without me driving to see the client. My schedule is my own. I don't have to set aside time each day to drive to see anyone. If a referral calls me and I'm not there, they typically leave a message and I return the call when I get back to my office (which is in my home). Sometimes they email me and let me know one of my clients referred them. Either way, I spend maybe 30-45 minutes on the phone with them educating them and asking questions so we can figure out which option they prefer (Med Supp or MAPD). I then run comparisons for PDP (MAPD if that's what they prefer) and get back with them. Once they are ready to move forward, most every carrier now has an e-app so we complete it electronically. Of the MAPD and PDP's I write, only UHC doesn't have an e-app where I don't have to be F2F, so those apps are generally mailed. As I said earlier, if they are close enough to meet F2F I will give them that option.

This post isn't to say you are wrong and I'm right. It's just to provide you with more information. My time is valuable so I use it as efficiently as possible. And for me, spending 2-4 hours in the car each day isn't very efficient, at least not for me. If it works for you, that's great.

I congratulate you on your success. Also, as you state in your last paragraph, I'm not wrong and your not right!

Back