Most extensive study ever . Mapd and original Medicare have same satisfaction for user

I know nothing about this stuff so please forgive me but wouldn't someone who could afford a med supp also be a great prospect for other products like annuities, LTC, life, etc.?

And those folks likely run in similar social circles so even if you don't get their friends' medicare business, you may be able to get some additional lines via referral?

Maybe I'm way off here but it would seem that even though a med supp may pay less commission vs MAPD, the client's lifetime value is still higher.

I know nothing about this stuff so please forgive me but wouldn't someone who could afford a med supp also be a great prospect for other products like annuities, LTC, life, etc.?.
I recently door knocked a woman who's turning 65. She's on disability Medicare with a MAPD. I replaced the MAPD with a Med Supp and a Prescription Drug Plan. Also sold her a Home Healthcare policy and a Dental/Vision/Hearing plan. Also sold her a MYGA and when I filled out the app I found out she has no life insurance, so I'll be talking to her about that when I deliver her annuity.

$2,600 in commissions on 5 policies and counting.

Like you said, a great prospect for other products.

I know nothing about this stuff so please forgive me but wouldn't someone who could afford a med supp also be a great prospect for other products like annuities, LTC, life, etc.?

And those folks likely run in similar social circles so even if you don't get their friends' medicare business, you may be able to get some additional lines via referral?

Maybe I'm way off here but it would seem that even though a med supp may pay less commission vs MAPD, the client's lifetime value is still higher.

You are 100% correct! That's how I found/sold other products. It's like prospecting for gold. Sometimes it's just a flake of gold, but other times it's a good nugget.

That goes away in 2023 . . .

I could list the complaints I hear about managed care . . . but I won't . . . my list would be longer than yours . . .

Probably. I also don't trust the Medicare "blank check" in the hands of doctors. They have a lot of ink.

• PDP coverage is not good
  • $480 before they'll cover shingles?
  • No dental
  • No Vision
  • no gym (rare)
  • my neighbor gets $50 off Part B and pays $0
  • price increases
  • "I pay for this and don't use it"
  • This started at $95 and it's $140 now plus $170 + I pay for a drug plan I don't use
Shall I go on?

My MAPD clients:

"Scott - we like paying $0. Will it still be $0 next year?"

Most of those are a sales issue. Not a Med Supp issue. You talk about shingles, DVH, gym and what the price increase history is during Medicare 101. I've been bitching to people about getting shingles shots for at least 10 years-or making them promise not to call me when it costs $350 at the pharmacy after they go on Medicare. And anyone bitching about the PDP got a new med and there's nothing I can do about it in April.

On the other hand, my handful of MAPD people who are over 65 are consistently on the "chase them down" list for OEP because they don't respond to the emails. They are happy and want to be left alone. BUT. Part of the reason they are happy is because of how managed care works to begin with. The docs aren't prescribing the expensive drugs, so they don't get a visit from provider relations telling them to knock it off.

MAPD for the win, again.

celecoxib CAP 200MG 180 Three Months
hydroxychloroquine sulfate TAB 200MG 180 Three Months
omeprazole (delayed release) CAP 40MG 90 Three Months
Oxybutynin Chloride ER oxybutynin chloride TAB 10MG ER 90 Three Months
propranolol hcl CAP 80MG ER 90 Three Months
Trulance TAB 3MG 30 One Month
Giant Eagle

MAPD w/ MMofOH: $1301 (est)
PDP w/ Clear Spring: $3200 (est) [+ Her med supp would be $155+/mo]

Just one example, of many.

Just got off the phone with this particular client and she was telling me over and over how thankful she was for how good Med Mutual has been to her. Not only helping with her Rx cost, but due to her shoulder and her lack of support system, someone from Med Mutual went "above and beyond" to help her with some senior programs locally.

Often, the Med Adv programs really do have staff members who actually want to provide some social service assistance - they want to help and not treat the members like a number, ahem, like Medicare; and these social services can make a big difference in the quality of life. You won't get that from 1-800-Medicare, and you certainly won't get it from your supp carrier.

Full disclosure - MMofOH is a bit "above" the rest -- I don't think every carrier goes as far above and beyond. But many of the small regionals, in my opinion, do a great job of it.

Back