New Website Or No New Website...

A question for the SEO experts...

My website is a health insurance website. Traffic is good. Placement with Google is good etc...

I'm interested in possibly adding a page on the website focusing exclusively on another line...more than likely disability...maybe dental. What would draw more traffic? A new website devoted to Ohio disability plans or using the existing website SEO value and adding a separate page?

I will have a keyword-rich domain name if I build a separate website.

UPDATE: Skip it. I think I'll build a separate website. More work as this will be wesite #4.

Thanks.

Chumps, why not do both? Cross-selling is huge, especially if you have credibility and great rankings....

Build a new site so new visitors dont get lost, yet, add an additional page on your authority site, gives you more of a chance of getting new customers IMO.

I don't think it has to be A or B, i think A+B = a good idea.

Just my opinon to maximize potential.

Yes, you made a good decision on creating a separate website. But I suggest that you leave a link on your original site to your new site, maybe a new page link then it will open your new site. What do you think? :)

I have tested this before actually and find that linking out from the homepage has no effect on anything. If anything, it would effect pr. But what does pr actually do is the question? Nothing of course in the SERPS. I have now links from my site to some of my newer business concoctions and so far I have not seen any pr or serp change. But I doubt very many people in this world can answer this question with any certainty. And many of the sites that kick butt in our industry have links out everywhere. Remember we are measured not just on incoming but outgoing links as well. Google wants us to be part of internet and that also means linking out to relevant sites. Even Ehealth links out 6x from their home page.
In the end because there are like 200 variables to measure, it becomes near impossible to do anything with certainty. So that is why I give my new sites juice, even if there is a small chance that it might hurt the main site.
Anyways it is a great question but anyone that answers it with certainty unless they work for google can safely be ignored. In the meantime just get high pr backlinks and all other issues can resolve themselves. I do remember that Matt Cutts himself said that Wordpress out of the box solves 90% of SEO issues without touching anything.

yes i agree it hasnt hurt me link to your new site off your old site and run both
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
opps sorry didnt see it was old post how did it work out for you got to look at the dates on these things.

Last edited:
Actually, I decided to create an additional site instead of adding on to the site. I may still add on later, but long-term, I thought creating was better than adding.

Too early to tell how it will work. I'll know in August of 2011.

Back