RIP, Pete Rose

Pete Rose has passed. The man should have been allowed to see himself inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

RIP to the greatest hitter the game has ever seen.

View attachment 14972
Sorry, but need to disagree with the issue of the HOF. Baseball overlooks many sins and transgressions, but betting on baseball is not one of them. Not only did he bet on baseball, but he also bet on his own team. He denied this vehemently until his admission in 2004. I have to believe that if he admitted to it right away there may have been an avenue to the HOF for him.

Sorry, but need to disagree with the issue of the HOF. Baseball overlooks many sins and transgressions, but betting on baseball is not one of them. Not only did he bet on baseball, but he also bet on his own team. He denied this vehemently until his admission in 2004. I have to believe that if he admitted to it right away there may have been an avenue to the HOF for him.

Right, he bet on his team to WIN.

This is the complete opposite of the Black Sox scandal where the players bet on their team to LOSE.

If you betting on your team is favorable to your team, as opposed to betting on your team and making efforts to throw the game.

Pet belongs in thew Hall of Fame and eventually there will be a commissioner of baseball who makes it happen. Too bad Pete won't be here to see it.

This is the complete opposite of the Black Sox scandal where the players bet on their team to LOSE.

If you betting on your team is favorable to your team, as opposed to betting on your team and making efforts to throw the game.

Pet belongs in thew Hall of Fame and eventually there will be a commissioner of baseball who makes it happen. Too bad Pete won't be here to see it.
Wow, calm down Skippy, this is not a big deal to me. But let's keep a few things in perspective. First and primary for baseball is that betting is not allowed. The rule states that players and team employees cannot place wagers, even legal bets, on baseball and from wagering with illegal or offshore bookmakers. Punishment is 1 year ban. It is so important that there are signs in all clubhouses. Second, Pete Rose continued to lie about betting for some 20 years or so. How are we to believe when he states he only bet on his team to win?

You can still make bad decisions regarding your players if you're betting on the team to win.

Ultimately, I think he should be in the hall though because it's still a museum, a history or retelling of the sport. Pete Rose is certainly a part of that history.

I think that Bonds should be in too.

You can still make bad decisions regarding your players if you're betting on the team to win.

Ultimately, I think he should be in the hall though because it's still a museum, a history or retelling of the sport. Pete Rose is certainly a part of that history.

I think that Bonds should be in too.
You bring up some good points, but Cooperstown is not a museum, or a history or retelling of the sport, it is a Hall of Fame. And Pete Rose brought shame to himself and baseball. He can certainly be in any of the several baseball museums in the country.

Back