Whats Your Favorite Website Builder?

I use go daddy for some basic email servers and they always have Apache servers running the latest version of php. Unless you specify any other type of server they will always give you the same Centos based machine running their cloned version of cpanel. In fact, their dedicated servers are much more limited than their cloud solution. For a quick wp install go daddy is ok. It is the cheapest but not my first choice. I would go with, rack space, ipower, liquid web or even hostwinds. I have servers with all of the companies I have listed and customer service is always the best with liquid web. The cheapest is go daddy and my favorite is host winds. Host winds even offers windows dedicated servers for 13 dollars per month. You can't beat that.

I use go daddy for some basic email servers and they always have Apache servers running the latest version of php. Unless you specify any other type of server they will always give you the same Centos based machine running their cloned version of cpanel. In fact, their dedicated servers are much more limited than their cloud solution. For a quick wp install go daddy is ok. It is the cheapest but not my first choice. I would go with, rack space, ipower, liquid web or even hostwinds. I have servers with all of the companies I have listed and customer service is always the best with liquid web. The cheapest is go daddy and my favorite is host winds. Host winds even offers windows dedicated servers for 13 dollars per month. You can't beat that.

Yeah, if GoDaddy uses Apache and Cent, there is no reason they should be disallowing php files.

I like LiquidWeb and Rackspace. I used LW for years on all my servers but they wouldn't update their infrastructure and offer gigabit uplinks so I moved over to Rackspace even though they were more expensive at the time. They have been good to me. I also have a few servers here and there at other providers, that I picked up during a sale or something and just leave alone for the most part since most of the cheaper providers are fully "managed", aka fully controlled so I don't have to worry about too much with them. :P

Hostwinds does not offer dedicated servers for $13 a month, they offer a VPS, which is software-shared portion of a server. This is basically like one of those cheap reseller accounts, just without the management portal to host multiple client sites. If you are paying anything less than $500 a month for a dedicated machine, you are either getting a superb deal or cheap, reused hardware, which is bound to failure under extended loads.

I talked to godaddy tech support and they told me that I cannot access any php uploads. I was trying to get a .php file uploaded to my website so I could track my email marketing linking to my website. I got around this with a few redirect links which is a good enough temporary solution, however I am interested in any other thoughts on .php as I have no clue what it does, or how it works.

I talked to godaddy tech support and they told me that I cannot access any php uploads. I was trying to get a .php file uploaded to my website so I could track my email marketing linking to my website. I got around this with a few redirect links which is a good enough temporary solution, however I am interested in any other thoughts on .php as I have no clue what it does, or how it works.

PHP is simply a programming language. It tells the browser what to do, effectively. Your particular code, if it is email based, may be a security concern because it is mail related. Does it send mail? or just track links?
Other than that, I would ask them, specifically, what the problem is. Millions of websites use PHP so the fact that it is PHP, in and of itself, is not the problem.

Jumping in the fray.............. got this email from a Google security engineer regarding WP vulnerability.

Make sure you have a current offsite backup of your WordPress sites. There is some cryptolocker-style malware currently circulating that infects WordPress sites through exposed vulnerabilities and encrypts their contents before demanding a ransom payment to recover your files. WPE does a good job of staying on top of security updates but you can never be too careful when it comes to backups.

Don't ever use a plugin for something like backups. They are all insecure by design. The fact that it's even possible to make a backup plugin is a horrible design flaw in WordPress itself.

Use this: https://wpengine.com/support/restore/ - they use the same back-end database dump / filesystem tarball method that I used to migrate your sites between providers.

It looks like WPE already handles offline/offsite backups for you, but I'd always want to keep my own copy just to be safe: https://wpengine.com/our-difference/automatic-wordpress-backup-and-disaster-recovery-on-wp-engine/

I think the bottom line is, for simple sites, or people who spend a lot of time plugging holes in the basic out of the box distribution of WordPress, WordPress is great. If you are looking for something designed for one purpose with the ability to scale WordPress isn't always the best solution. But like anything there are holes with other frameworks as well. I have seen security patches for Zend as well as Nette so nothing is 100% safe.

Jumping in the fray.............. got this email from a Google security engineer regarding WP vulnerability.

Make sure you have a current offsite backup of your WordPress sites. There is some cryptolocker-style malware currently circulating that infects WordPress sites through exposed vulnerabilities and encrypts their contents before demanding a ransom payment to recover your files. WPE does a good job of staying on top of security updates but you can never be too careful when it comes to backups.

Don't ever use a plugin for something like backups. They are all insecure by design. The fact that it's even possible to make a backup plugin is a horrible design flaw in WordPress itself.

Use this: https://wpengine.com/support/restore/ - they use the same back-end database dump / filesystem tarball method that I used to migrate your sites between providers.

It looks like WPE already handles offline/offsite backups for you, but I'd always want to keep my own copy just to be safe: https://wpengine.com/our-difference/automatic-wordpress-backup-and-disaster-recovery-on-wp-engine/

Wp Engine is overpriced garbage that the bulk of hosts will do for free.
The bulk of WP sites are hosted on Cpanel or Plesk because they offer an easy install. Both panels have a built-in backup system.

There are also several very reputable backup plugins if you want something easier to use. Personally, I like a combination of twice a week plugin-based backups and I always keep the last 4 (2 weeks) on the server and using a domain-level backup at the panel level that runs once per week and includes all settings, etc. Then, on top of that, I run server-level backups daily on top of a RAID-5 array.

----------

so nothing is 100% safe.

No truer words were ever spoken, lol

Thank you Damion for your input. However I was not looking for a critique of WPE. Rather, I was offering information about how WP sites have been targeted by hackers.

If a site owner will take the time to do daily backups, regular updates and scans, and stay on top of site/plugin vulnerability then there is no reason to pay $29/mo for WPE.

I have yet to meet an agent that devotes that kind of time to site maintenance.

I think the safest and most reliable backup solution will always come in the form of some server side info-structure a hosting company can offer. I am in agreement that a backup plugin is a little risky. It took me some convincing to even install drop box. To be honest I hate security but it's very important especially when you are dealing with insurance. You can't be to careful. I have been working with CMS now for over 2 years connecting to the FFM through SAML and SOAP as a WBE. It's never fun having to maintain all the certs and creds. The less ways you are vulnerable the better.

Thank you Damion for your input. However I was not looking for a critique of WPE. Rather, I was offering information about how WP sites have been targeted by hackers.

If a site owner will take the time to do daily backups, regular updates and scans, and stay on top of site/plugin vulnerability then there is no reason to pay $29/mo for WPE.

I have yet to meet an agent that devotes that kind of time to site maintenance.

Agreed. The statistics are still the same though. An updated Wp installation is very rarely compromised and the process can be automated now minimizing risk. Also, backups can be set up automatically so there is no maintenance involved - and that was what I was getting at ;)

Back