2018 AHIP Certification

Hi Jimmy:

Need help passin this exam. i put everything as suggested on word document then my question becomes
a) how do i identify keywords to look for in the questions?
b) do you segment it by keywords or modules.
c) what do you type in & where in word documents to find the keyword & look for the relevant subject per the question asked.

do i narrow it down to
a) 50/50 likely best two answers
b) what would keyword be?
in the example Q1 keyword = Employer/Union Groups or something else. wouldn't u segment it as Employer/Union Group anyways then look for it in that module.
c) any better tips/tricks applicable.

example questions below

Question 1:
This year you decide to focus your efforts on marketing to employer and union groups. Which of the following statements best describes what you can and cannot do in order to stay in compliance?

• Your are not required to submit copies of disseminated materials to CMS at the time of use, but CMS may request and review copies if employee complaints occur.
  • You do not need to complete a scope of appointment, but CMS can ask you to reconstruct one if there is a subsequent employee complaint.
  • You can make unsolicited contacts but you cannot cross-sell other products.
  • You do not need to take an annual test, but you must not provide potential enrollees with more than light snacks at presentations.
Question 2:
Ms. Goldstein is required by the plan she presents to obtain enrollment forms that have carbon copies in the back. She gives one to the beneficiary, sends another to the plan and retains the third. What should she do with her copies of the enrollment forms?

• She should retain them for six years and then throw them in the garbage, as is, without shredding them.
  • There is no specific requirements to which she is subject with regard to safekeeping the information.
  • She should make every effort to safeguard the beneficiary information on those enrollment forms.
  • She should retain them until she is informed by the plan that they have been successfully processed and then she can throw them in the garbage, as is, without shredding them.

I'm sorry that happened; I just took it the AHIP and passed with 100%. Here is what I did:

Downloaded all the slides into Word documents that I could look at; had them opened at the same time as the test.
Also, you can download and even print-screen the 'quizzes' (reviews, whatever they call them.) Pretty much the exact same questions at the end of the modules are on the exam.

Read the answers really carefully. Often you can find the correct one by eliminating the obviously ridiculous ones.

I am a former high school teacher; I have a graduate degree in education and am trained in testing design. Personally, I think the AHIP exam is poorly constructed. I found at least six typos in the study material (not obvious word misspells, but grammar mistakes such as "too" when it should be "to." ) I also found sentence fragments, run-ons, and stuff that just plain DID NOT MAKE SENSE.

I don't think this exam is necessarily difficult to pass, but you DO have to dig in and pay attention to the material on the modules.

Since I passed it, I'm not familiar with what happens when you don't; do they TELL you which questions you got wrong?

I hope even a tiny bit of this post helps. Are you on your 3rd strike? Some companies (UHC in my case) lock you out for a year after 3 unsuccessful attempts; others, I've heard, will let you enroll again for another 3 tries.

Take care,
Robin

Its dumb, extremely boring, and entirely impossible to remember all this information off-hand. What's worst, 70% of it is compliance. All that said, I'm just speeding through it and getting 100%. I can't absorb anymore of this information.

Going through these slides is like reading a giant truth table in text form. Anyone familiar with computer science will get the reference.

Hey guys
Need help with Ahip 2020 exam ... missed 7 first time not sure which ones I got wrong ..
Thanks

Best thing to do is slow down. Take the practice exams and print them out, because those answers will be on the test.

If your getting appointed with more than one company, print their practice tests too. Everyone is going to be the same more or less. Just a little variety to make it interesting.

Pretty soon you will have this stuff rote.

Last edited:
I read and printed all 5 modules but the exams did not. Will I still be able to go back and print them or even get to them? I've taken the 1st attempt.

TampaHound,
On the AHIP site there are practice exams? Aggie high 5. I missed that. Going back to finish it. Thanks to all of the Guru's for your time and information. I started selling Medicare because I got taken the first year and being a baby boomer I vowed to warn and help all the others to not get taken advantage of so the agent can get a bigger commission.

Th
I called the AHIP folks and asked if there were any surveys, or such, that are administered to people who've passed, to get feedback on the tests plan and design, and the customer service rep I spoke to said, verbatim "No there isn't, but that's a great idea. I'm going to pass it along."

I'm not sure what AHIP's goals are. The Fraud, Waste & Abuse Training portion is necessary, imo, given the staggeringly high cost of such...but most of what I studied is pre-empted by product training of the specific carriers.

I don't think the magician question was particularly stupid. The idea of actually hiring one for a educational or sales/marketing event is interesting...and the question itself is meant to drive home the "only nominal gifts/nothing over $15/per person" rule.

I find the regulations surrounding MA daunting and scary. The commercials I see on tv, sponsored and paid for by "medicare.com" seem to contain dozens of violations. I've carried E&O insurance for 18 years with nary a claim. I want to KEEP it that way.

The whole test is a giant scam (to possibly steal our money). I'm all for keeping up with policies and such, but most of the information doesn't change, and is the exact same from year-to-year.

The questions are also poorly worded/constructed, many don't make a bit of sense (as there could easily be two correct answers on a good portion of them), are extremely confusing because they're grammatically horrendous, and it's designed to make you fail. It's not a test that passes the moral and ethical test.

Also, a 90%??? Really? Why not just go full ret@rd and make it 100%? I think 80% would be more than sufficient. AHIP is in cahoots with the insurance companies to try and steal a year of our wages. That's all it boils down to.

Also, having to certify to EACH specific company's policies, EVERY YEAR, is also ridiculous. Tell me what changed and let me take a test on that ONLY. Stop wasting my time.

Th
Also, a 90%??? Really? Why not just go full ret@rd and make it 100%? I think 80% would be more than sufficient. AHIP is in cahoots with the insurance companies to try and steal a year of our wages. That's all it boils down to.
I've got some news for you, and anyone else who doesn't know the consequences of not passing AHIP. You will lose your entire book of business, not just for the year, but for good. B/C now, you can't take all the carriers' certifications, with possibly the exception of UHC, so bye-bye renewal commissions. Oh, and now that book of "former clients" are now just strangers to you again b/c their not your clients of course, and "legally" now you can't contact them out of the blue w/o an updated "permission to contact form". You can get those clients back, but will have to go through the wringer and may have to switch them out of their current plan to another carrier's plan.
And passing the subsequent year's AHIP doesn't mean you will automatically get that book of business back. They revert back to the company, and the companies will not just hand it back to you out of their shear kindness and benevolence.
This is just criminal in my opinion, and another way to shake down agents, and marginalize them out of the business every way possible.
I agree with much of what's been said here about the usefulness, ethics, shear incompetence, bad grammar, nebulous scenarios that don't describe the actual situation being presented, with some answers to match (in some cases). Some of the questions are easy and straightforward, but it seems they are trying to trip you with some of the other ones. So it begs the question of what is the real purpose of the AHIP. Does passing the AHIP really make you a better agent? I for one, like to educate my clients and always tell them, that I'm here to offer "help through education and straight talk". Ultimately it is their choice, empowered by unbiased information, and the pros and cons of their choice both in the short and long term. Does knowing all the answers to AHIP make my unbiased approach and concern for my clients improve that outcome?

I've got some news for you, and anyone else who doesn't know the consequences of not passing AHIP. You will lose your entire book of business, not just for the year, but for good. B/C now, you can't take all the carriers' certifications, with possibly the exception of UHC, so bye-bye renewal commissions. Oh, and now that book of "former clients" are now just strangers to you again b/c their not your clients of course, and "legally" now you can't contact them out of the blue w/o an updated "permission to contact form". You can get those clients back, but will have to go through the wringer and may have to switch them out of their current plan to another carrier's plan.
And passing the subsequent year's AHIP doesn't mean you will automatically get that book of business back. They revert back to the company, and the companies will not just hand it back to you out of their shear kindness and benevolence.
This is just criminal in my opinion, and another way to shake down agents, and marginalize them out of the business every way possible.
I agree with much of what's been said here about the usefulness, ethics, shear incompetence, bad grammar, nebulous scenarios that don't describe the actual situation being presented, with some answers to match (in some cases). Some of the questions are easy and straightforward, but it seems they are trying to trip you with some of the other ones. So it begs the question of what is the real purpose of the AHIP. Does passing the AHIP really make you a better agent? I for one, like to educate my clients and always tell them, that I'm here to offer "help through education and straight talk". Ultimately it is their choice, empowered by unbiased information, and the pros and cons of their choice both in the short and long term. Does knowing all the answers to AHIP make my unbiased approach and concern for my clients improve that outcome?

That isn't 100% accurate-if you fail AHIP the first time (3 tries) it's likely you will not be able to enroll anyone in a new plan (it depends on the insurance company, Humana is definitely one that locks agents out) but agents can still pay for another course and pass it the 2nd time and maintain their renewals. If you can't pass AHIP in 6 tries then maybe it's time to do something else with your career, the exam isn't rocket science.

I recognize many agents have issues with exams of any kind and either aren't willing to put in the effort to get a passing grade or just dveteran on't understand the material; if they are new to Medicare then maybe it's the wrong product for them but I also think a veteran agent who has passed AHIP for some number of consecutive years (maybe 5) should get a lifetime exemption and just take the carrier certifications.

Back