Newbie - AHIP testing & study materials

This is also a good point. MedSupps are a good entry to the Senior Market. In fact, for many, it is their only avenue in the Senior Market. If you don't think you will sell a lot of MA/MAPD it's not really worth it to get the certification. It does have significant cost each year for cert/re-cert.

I think I would like to get the certification. I think it would be good.

If I can offer you a few pieces of advice:

1) Don't worry about AHIP yet. You don't know enough about Medicare to actually help MA clients. You need a lot of consistency as you learn the Medicare Market. Med Supps are really all about consistency. MA is not.

2) Check out this website Medicare Agents - Welcome Home! - Medicare Training 101 (@Todd King where's my affiliate commission?) it's really a great starting point to learning Medicare on top of the Medicare and you book by CMS.

3) Getting a local IMO is fine. If they fit your needs, but as a new agent you really need to know that a lot of IMO's don't offer the level of support you would think they would. Some of them are actually sharks and will rip you off. I've associated with a lot of IMO's and I would really consider at least talking to Todd. They're very family based and really great. They can really help.

Just my .02

Thanks for the link, I have bookmarked it to read tomorrow. Thank you! (They should give you an affiliate commission. LOL)

This is a very good point. MA gets complicated and if you don't already understand basic medicare concepts you are going to be lost in the water with MA/MAPD.

I know that I seem slow, but I am actually a good learner, just got a little frustrated and off track. I'll find the rails. LOL

Thanks everyone for chatting with me. Very nice thank you! Much helpful information. - I have more questions to come. But got to get ready for our family reunion, since I am one of the organizers, best do my part. :)

I know that I seem slow, but I am actually a good learner, just got a little frustrated and off track. I'll find the rails. LOL

It's not about you being slow or fast. It's about Medicare itself. So an example:

I worked in Medicare for 5 years in the mid 2000's. I took a break until earlier this year. I've spent the last 5 years as an employee for a Governmental agency that works with SS Disability.

I learn new things about Medicare everyday. You're a new agent, and most new agents come with a lot of gusto, but you have a lot to learn about the program, your products, marketing, sales..

Take your time, pick one product and master it. Then move on

Back