Cold Knocking

Pony didn’t make it because he spent a ton on leads and he only worked the ones his appt setter got him wasting a ton of money . I suspect he also had a high lapse ratio and poor money management. Look at all the agents on here who were getting 40-60 leads a week . Sure they wrote a lot of business but every single one of them is recruiting now . When you get that many leads your wasting a ton of money not working them all hard . Thus your net profit is crap and your killing yourself driving a 1000 miles a week.In the end to make it long term as a Fe agent you can’t be in the field more than 2-3 days a week working 5-7 appts a day.You’ll simply burn out .

It is said that 8 out of 10 that get into this business wash out in the first year or two with the exception of those that are cut out for the business,link up with the right agency/FMO.

So how does a guy stay in FE and work well into his late age ?

I guess Rouse would know about this ?

A lot of salesman die young.

They become alcoholics,pill heads,chain smokers,addicted gamblers,womanizers,divorced 2-3 times ,develop health problems,live terribly unhealthy lifestyles.

How does a guy avoid burnout ?

Can a guy stay in the business till he's 75-80,collect SS,go into the field 3 days a week and write 5-10k AP a month ?

How many guys are doing this ?

Is this a business that after a few years you either get off the street and recruit or get out of it all together ?

Can a guy stay in the business till he's 75-80,collect SS,go into the field 3 days a week and write 5-10k AP a month ?

How many guys are doing this ?

Me and Rouse are probably the 2 old timers on the forum. I think he is some older than me, I am 62, and have been in this business 42 years. I started collecting my "entitlement" in April. I order leads once a month and work them 2 days a week. When it cools off I may place more orders, but it usually takes me about a month to make contact with the leads. Been averaging between $3000 to $4000 AP per order.

Decided to take SS early. With all the talk by Congress of making changes I thought I would get it while I can. I put the pencil to it. $24000 annually now or wait until 67 and get $30,000. Well if you add each year in a side by side column the age 67 amount equaled the age 62 amount around age 79 for me. I am not sure I will live that long so I chose to draw early. Had a Financial Planner tell me if I wasn't sure how long I would live then draw it as soon as I was eligible.

Me and Rouse are probably the 2 old timers on the forum. I think he is some older than me, I am 62, and have been in this business 42 years. I started collecting my "entitlement" in April. I order leads once a month and work them 2 days a week. When it cools off I may place more orders, but it usually takes me about a month to make contact with the leads. Been averaging between $3000 to $4000 AP per order.

Decided to take SS early. With all the talk by Congress of making changes I thought I would get it while I can. I put the pencil to it. $24000 annually now or wait until 67 and get $30,000. Well if you add each year in a side by side column the age 67 amount equaled the age 62 amount around age 79 for me. I am not sure I will live that long so I chose to draw early. Had a Financial Planner tell me if I wasn't sure how long I would live then draw it as soon as I was eligible.
....and since this business is gonna drive us to an early grave! LOL!:1arghh:

I’m turning 62 on Sunday. I don’t know how long I’ll live either. But I’m still healthy and feel like I can keep going for several more years. As far as collecting SS, I want the bigger check, so I’m planning on delaying filing for it until the last possible minute at age 70.

Last edited:
....and since this business is gonna drive us to an early grave! LOL!:1arghh:

I’m turning 62 on Sunday. I don’t know how long I’ll live either. But I’m still healthy and feel like I can keep going for several more years. As far as collecting SS, I want the bigger check, so I’m planning on delaying filing for it until the last possible minute at age 70.

Happy Birthday shonceman... keep at it!

I have a quick story... Met a man a the door one day (cold knocking) turned out to be 92 and was actively working as a hearse driver for a local funeral home... I have wondered many times how often this saint of man was driving some one 60 or 50 years his younger to a hole in the dirt and what went through his mind...

Met him about 2 years ago... caught up to a friend of his earlier this year that said he just retired... not from life... but from his job! :shocked:

I wanna be just like him...:yes:

I have a quick story... Met a man a the door one day (cold knocking) turned out to be 92 and was actively working as a hearse driver for a local funeral home... I have wondered many times how often this saint of man was driving some one 60 or 50 years his younger to a hole in the dirt and what went through his mind...

Met him about 2 years ago... caught up to a friend of his earlier this year that said he just retired... not from life... but from his job! :shocked:

You want to drive a hearse? :eek:

I’ve already determined that I wanna be knocking on a door in a rough neighborhood when I leave this world. Hopefully I’ll have a young agent trainee with me so he can quickly write up the person that opens the door while they’re still in shock. “My friend here just died happily, knowing he left his family adequately prepared. Do you have plans in place for the inevitable day when you keel over like he just did?”

I’ve already determined that I wanna be knocking on a door in a rough neighborhood when I leave this world. Hopefully I’ll have a young agent trainee with me so he can quickly write up the person that opens the door while they’re still in shock. “My friend here just died happily, knowing he left his family adequately prepared. Do you have plans in place for the inevitable day when you keel over like he just did?”
You could hire somebody to go with you and have fake heart attacks. :yes:

Back