Cold Knocking

I've had a few people reach out to me wanting to know what my "secret sauce" is for cold knocking a list. Well, It's really not rocket surgery, so I figured I would post how I approach a cold door off a list and what I say. If any body has any feedback...have at it. When I first started doing FE I couldn't afford leads, so I parked in a neighborhood and cold knocked. Well, after doing it for a while I realized that every 50 doors for me was a sale averaging 600AP. I then was able to start buying leads. Well, In January I did my own mail drop aside from EFES and I also ordered the mail list that all the mail went to. I started knocking that list just as soon as I got it. I made 5 sales just from knocking the list over a two day period. I then noticed that if I had a targeted list instead of just cold knocking a neighborhood, my numbers were better. Now don't get me wrong. I will take a lead over straight cold knocking, but I feel that taking one day a week to straight cold knock will keep me on my toes and have the chance at some extra AP. Ok, so here is what I do at the door. Now your job on cold knocking a list is to just see if there is any interest. You can not go into overcoming objections at the door if the person has no interest. Your job is to see if there is ANY INTEREST at all. If there is none, move on. When I go to the door I carry my leads with me. Yea, I know this person did not mail in a lead card. I have my list tucked under my leads held together by a different clip. I knock on the door and ask for the person by name. Example: " Hi, Linda!..... I'm Chris. We recently mailed you this card and I wanted to come out and visit with you." Now at this point you hand the person the card. I know it is not their card because they didn't send one back. But these people get so much mail that it doesn't matter. If the person says that this isn't my name say "I Know, We mailed this card to you but we haven't' gotten yours back yet. DO you have a few minutes?" Now, if the person doesn't say "this isn't my name on it," Then simply give them a few seconds to read the lead card that you handed them. Once you feel they have had time to read it just simply ask, "Do you have a few minutes?" You will get some kind of reaction. Your job is not to sell them at the door or give them a ton of info at the door. You're looking for interest. When knocking a list it is a #'s game and you need to stack the odds in the house's favor. Once you ask them if they have few minutes and they say yes, BOOM, you're into giving your presentation. I hope this helps. If you need anything just shoot me a PM. Chris

If it's annoying to you that they say That's not my name, you could white out their name and make a copy to carry with you as a generic card :) .....just a thought :)

Amber

----------

If it's annoying to you that they say That's not my name, you could white out their name and make a copy to carry with you as a generic card :) .....just a thought :) Amber
Damn I should have read further before reading that everyone else already gave you this idea! HA!

Amber

This is an interesting thread. Further looking into the OP's posts here at the FE forum reveals that he seems to have failed out of FE, then made a big to-do about coming back, posted here twice, and hasn't been seen in over year. I wonder, sincerely, if his come back worked or if he again failed out. Not judging by any means - but if someone has an insurance license, a cold list of FE type prospects, and a willingness to cold knock as he said he did, and has really put up the cold knock numbers he did, one wonders why his difficulty, and possibly, his continuing difficulty to stay the course.

Also, @Toranaga also was doing this at the time of this thread (just over five years ago). I'd be interested to hear if this is something he has continued doing.

I know that 360 has an agent who does not buy leads - no DM< no TM, no FB. He buys a list of FE prospects ($0-$40? 60-75?) and, as legend has it, knocks Monday through Friday, 10 AM to 2 PM and writes $100K in premium per year, which is not bad money if you don't have the $30-$50K DM nut most of us have to crack.

I know that leads is the fast easy way to cash flow (I am working DM, TM, and FB leads as we speak). If DM could still be had of $23 or less per lead, I wouldn't even care about this topic other than to say I MUCH prefer door knocking my leads to calling them.

This is an interesting thread. Further looking into the OP's posts here at the FE forum reveals that he seems to have failed out of FE, then made a big to-do about coming back, posted here twice, and hasn't been seen in over year. I wonder, sincerely, if his come back worked or if he again failed out. Not judging by any means - but if someone has an insurance license, a cold list of FE type prospects, and a willingness to cold knock as he said he did, and has really put up the cold knock numbers he did, one wonders why his difficulty, and possibly, his continuing difficulty to stay the course.

Also, @Toranaga also was doing this at the time of this thread (just over five years ago). I'd be interested to hear if this is something he has continued doing.

I know that 360 has an agent who does not buy leads - no DM< no TM, no FB. He buys a list of FE prospects ($0-$40? 60-75?) and, as legend has it, knocks Monday through Friday, 10 AM to 2 PM and writes $100K in premium per year, which is not bad money if you don't have the $30-$50K DM nut most of us have to crack.

I know that leads is the fast easy way to cash flow (I am working DM, TM, and FB leads as we speak). If DM could still be had of $23 or less per lead, I wouldn't even care about this topic other than to say I MUCH prefer door knocking my leads to calling them.
OFP was with EFES. I think Ben has said that OFP was a producer, he just couldn't handle money, and that's why he kept failing out.

Pony didn’t make it because he spent a ton on leads and he only worked the ones his appt setter got him wasting a ton of money . I suspect he also had a high lapse ratio and poor money management. Look at all the agents on here who were getting 40-60 leads a week . Sure they wrote a lot of business but every single one of them is recruiting now . When you get that many leads your wasting a ton of money not working them all hard . Thus your net profit is crap and your killing yourself driving a 1000 miles a week.In the end to make it long term as a Fe agent you can’t be in the field more than 2-3 days a week working 5-7 appts a day.You’ll simply burn out .

I think a good question would be would go like this:
Hey,how come you got off the street ?

Is there a forum for building an FE downline/agency?

Besides the driving you forgot to mention the diet of honey buns,fast food,the sodas/coffee.

Getting home at 10-11 at night.

Great quality of life !

In the end to make it long term as a Fe agent you can’t be in the field more than 2-3 days a week working 5-7 appts a day.You’ll simply burn out .

I worked my arse off in December and by the end of January I had to take a week off to sit in the corner and and rock back and forth in a straight jacket.

you forgot to mention the diet of honey buns,fast food,the sodas/coffee.

Apparently you did not get the memo that the FE forum has gone keto, honey buns. Bacon and bunless burgers all around!

Pony didn’t make it because he spent a ton on leads and he only worked the ones his appt setter got him wasting a ton of money . I suspect he also had a high lapse ratio and poor money management. Look at all the agents on here who were getting 40-60 leads a week . Sure they wrote a lot of business but every single one of them is recruiting now . When you get that many leads your wasting a ton of money not working them all hard . Thus your net profit is crap and your killing yourself driving a 1000 miles a week.In the end to make it long term as a Fe agent you can’t be in the field more than 2-3 days a week working 5-7 appts a day.You’ll simply burn out .

That is sad, because his original post had headed in the right direction... but if you speed things through with the client too fast, and you will have poor persistancy.

Sounds like someone got in his ear...

I door knock all of my leads. Was eating a late lunch and around 3 a new lead came to my phone. I called and got an answering machine and since it was only a few miles away I drove to the home.
The internal front door was open and I saw a lady through the outside glass door grab her phone and disappear. I rang the doorbell. Nothing happened. Looked over to the house next door and there sat a deputy sheriff SUV in the drive. Waited about 2 minutes and rang the doorbell again. Still nothing.
Was turning to leave and looked and hear comes the neighbor. He wanted to know why I was there so I assumed the lady called him. I showed him the lead. The lady showed up at the door. Guess what? She denied responding. I read off the info that I had and still she resisted. Told her I was sorry that I couldn't help her and left. I think she thought the neighbor would scare me off since he was a deputy, but I stood my ground because I knew I had done nothing wrong.

Back