Facebook Ad's Need Help!

Bob,

Thanks for the kind words.

My business model is all internet and email. I have been told that I will miss a lot of prospects that way. That I need to use DM and TM if I want to be successful.

You have a limited number of tables in your restaurant. Why start cooking food you don't like to smell if your tables are full every night?

But...

you'll get a great ROI on DM if if you limit it to existing clients and good prospects.

With DM it's the list, the list, the list (as opposed to location, location, location).

There are ways to do it without stuffing envelopes. You can upload a mailing list and a graphics or mail merge file to an online printer and be done with it. I send both postcards and faux handwritten letters.

I invest about $250 a month in faux handwritten letters to a highly targeted subset of my list. This usually gets me two sales over and above what I'd get without the letters. The LTV and persistency I expect from a new Medicare client means I'm getting 20 dollars back for every dollar invested. (Of course I also invest time.)

Let me know if you want to hear more.

But if your restaurant is full...

Last edited:
Alston, you are probably right about adding DM to the mix, but I don't have the time to cater to folks who don't have and use email. In the past I have sent things via USPS on request. Never sold anyone.

Non-electronic communication isn't congruent with my business model.

I can't believe I thought I had everything figured out almost a year ago. I didn't put the final pieces together until June of this year. My leads have been consistent since then.

Here is what I've learned.

Connecticut is a tiny market. Some of the best practices for Facebook - that work for larger markets - not only don't work but, backfire. (It only took me a year and many thousands of dollars to figure that out. Ouch!)

I was crippled by two ad fatigue issues. People get tired of seeing the same ad over and over. And this happens quickly if you have a small audience.

And... since Facebook remembers how poorly the ad performed when you last ran it, a fatigued ad will probably still perform poorly even if you wait 6 months to rerun it.

What I've done in Connecticut will probably not work in your state, at least not without major modifications. Connecticut is both a guaranteed issue and a community-rated state for Medigap. I didn't realize how rare that is when I started.

I think about 80% of my clients under 70 should have MAPD since they can move to a Medigap during any AEP. Also we've had a 5-star PDP in CT for a the last few years. This means they're qualified for an SEP year round.

Connecticut's uniqueness means many of the 300 emails I've written contain horrible advice for residents of other states who should stay away from MAPD.

So I can't just mail merge (find and replace) another agent's contact info into my content. The system I hoped to syndicate will be overpriced for most agents if I have to hand customize each email.

It works for me, but it took a lot of time to get it to work well.

My CPA is about $300. Since I write mostly T65 MAPD I make a small profit the first year and then $271 each year thereafter.

Here is an outline
  • Start writing emails with tips until you get about 10 done.
  • Create an ebook
  • Create a Facebook ad promoting your ebook.
  • Run the ad
  • Capture email address of everyone who requests your ebook
  • Send an email with a link to your ebook
  • Send postal mail (if you capture postal addresses up front)
  • Send email weekly until you have written enough emails to increase the frequency.
  • Eventually send emails daily
  • Encourage your readers to request recommendations. I used the email body to give tips and soft sell. I have a CTA in every PS or PPS.
  • Consider sending monthly or semi-monthly post cards. (Not sure on the ROI of that piece yet.)
If you try this, you'll need to test multiple ads and e-books until you create a combination that works.

Plus you (or someone) has to crank out a couple hundred words every day or so.

Your ebook doesn't have to be very long. The first one I created is 21 pages. But my 3-page cheat sheets work just as well. One of my lead magnets is just the price list pdf from the insurance department with a cover sheet.

The ebooks and cheat sheets don't fatigue, but having multiple lead magnets makes it easier to create more ads to test.

When you have a good ad, expect it to fatigue. So create several variations of your winning ads once you identify one.

Once I have a good concept or script, I can usually find someone on Fiverr to make several versions of it for $5 to $50. Simple graphic-only ads can cost $5 or so. You can get a spokesperson or whiteboard ad done for about $50, but you'll have to give them the script.

You can get a system like this to work, but it can take a while to test and tweak each element.

It's almost AEP, so I may not be on the forum much in the next two months. But I'll check this thread and respond to your PMs when I can.

Wow, this is probably one of the most transparent marketing programs I've seen on this forum. I miss the good ole days when the FB Graph API wasn't so inflexible about providing data.

Alston, you are probably right about adding DM to the mix, but I don't have the time to cater to folks who don't have and use email. In the past I have sent things via USPS on request. Never sold anyone.

Non-electronic communication isn't congruent with my business model.

Bob,

I'm glad your tables are full.

Alston,
Would love to know what service you use that provides the "handwritten" letters?

I send letters to my email subscribers and current individual health clients the month before their IEP/ICEP and the first 4 months of their IEP/ICEP.

The ROI is great if they already know me. I don't think it would be profitable if mailed to a purchased list.

Calling would be better, but I don't always have PTC, plus I usually am too busy (or I simply forget) to call.

My VA orders the letters once a month. I just pay the credit card bill and wait for them to contact me.

Direct Mail Services | Custom Letter Printing - iti Direct Mail

Last edited:
FB leads are a waste of money. People go there to see silly cat videos so they're not in a buying mood. I've found money better spent on search engines and affiliate sites. Those leads come in hot because people are begging to buy!

I'm all about multiple lead sources and figuring out what works but if it starts to infringe on my time in front of people closing sales, then I'll forgo one for the other! :)

If it works for you man, great! In my experience leads coming in from places where people are in the buying mood close much higher! Have an awesome day!

Back