Help me I feel like quitting...

Sitting in a doctor's office/pharmacy/walmart is going to be about as entertaining as watching paint dry and only a little more profitable. I would only recommend doing it if you have waaaaaaay more time than money. You can get a list of 1000's for cold calling for like $50. Leads are going to be much more pricey but much better in terms of $$/hour worked. Figure out what works for you and tailor your business to that. This forum is a goldmine for useful information.

Also, every single agent I've talked to says if you make it to year 3 it gets a whole lot easier. First 2 years are going to be super rough because you don't have the steady income residuals bring, or the steady referrals that having a decent sized client base brings.

He is selling MAPD and can't do cold calling though

Also, every single agent I've talked to says if you make it to year 3 it gets a whole lot easier.

What do the married ones say?

Seriously, unless you have a lot of $$$ to throw at it and are willing to work your butt off, taking 3 yrs to hit your stride is pretty common.

Most agents will flame out long before then. They gave up too soon.

thank you guys/gals,

Everyone in my agency said your first year is the toughest and then i started hearing the first two years.....I can see that my 200 bucks per month starting in January although hilarious, will be something to add to my monthly gross sales. I am going to start building
on the life side which will allow for less stricter compliance requirements, thereby opening the door for marketing during boring doctor camp-outs. The camp-outs are legit they are only setup where there is an office near the waiting area.

I am hearing many helpful tips....please keep them coming

25 years ago I started another business. I had few options and enough cash and credit (mostly credit) to float me for a year if needed. My first commission check came 5 months later.

It was $69.

My wife's comment was "How will we live on that?"

The next month it was $150.

I said, that's good. My income doubled.

Wife still not buying the dream.

Month after that was over $400. Told myself (and wife) as long as I keep doubling my income every month this is a good thing.

She still isn't buying.

16 months after my first check I had a $10,000 month. A few months later it started to level off around $20,000.

That was a good ride while it lasted. Carrried me for 9 years before it blew up and I had to start over again.

As Somarco said, its a slow go in the early years.
I started in May 1978. At that time, my income was from 95% life, 5% health.
I was slowly starving!
Fast forward to today.
Now, I'm 100% health. The last life policy I sold was in 1992.
Earlier this year, Jan 2017, I used my Medicare Part D commissions to almost pay cash for a brand new Toyota Sequoia.
It's good to be me!

Thank you....yes I did have my cards own cards printed and started marking out the cards they printed with their number....although some of them slip through the cracks. That upline keeps telling me people are calling looking for me....i think its a ploy because they want me to work out of that office so i can help with their customers dropping by needing help (they have about 1200 people signed up) which means I get nothing out of it....

If you have determined that your upline is shady, why are they still your upline? Too many good places to be in this business to put up with crap. Open your mind up to better areas of insurance.

Read the getting started with Final Expense section of our website. Listen to the interviews with agents like JD Easy on our site. If FE interests you give us a call. Also check out other insurance niches but find one that strikes you as interesting and then seek out a good agency. It sounds like you are just where you landed because they recruited you. Not because you researched and chose them.

It gets better.

Start your research here. Getting Started with FE Sales

Here's my take on this. Any agent who only offers half of the Medicare side isn't doing all of his/her clients a good job. Many times the client would be better off with a Med Supp instead of an MA Plan. If you don't have the ability to offer something on all sides you're surely doing some of them an injustice.

I know the AmeriLife captive side does this (or at least used to). They had certain agents who only wrote MA plans will others only wrote Med Supps. They even had some that only sold Part D plans! What a waste!

I personally think you should start looking at other uplines. You should add on Medicare Supplements as part of your portfolio, then once you get that down (should be easy with your existing knowledge), then add on FE. Start with what you know and expand from there.

Here's my take on this. Any agent who only offers half of the Medicare side isn't doing all of his/her clients a good job. Many times the client would be better off with a Med Supp instead of an MA Plan. If you don't have the ability to offer something on all sides you're surely doing some of them an injustice.

I know the AmeriLife captive side does this (or at least used to). They had certain agents who only wrote MA plans will others only wrote Med Supps. They even had some that only sold Part D plans! What a waste!

I personally think you should start looking at other uplines. You should add on Medicare Supplements as part of your portfolio, then once you get that down (should be easy with your existing knowledge), then add on FE. Start with what you know and expand from there.

^^^^^This. And honestly, if you are already doing MA's and MAPD's, adding Med Supps to your selling portfolio is just about the easiest thing in the world. No certification, no AHIP, no scope, the benefits are easier to understand as an agent and as a prospect.

I’m guessing he’s only selling for one company, a company that doesn’t offer mapd.
I remember talking to PUP agents that used to try and convince me that Med Supps were horrible and they replace one every time they see one.

Back