My First Day Door Knocking FE Leads

Abrasax

Guru
I spent my first day door knocking today. I'm a newer agent and pretty much brand new to FE so any feedback would be appreciated.

I've been buying Facebook leads and I'm undecided about them currently. It may be the areas though. Martin County Florida is high income and I pulled up to a lot of quarter million dollar++ houses today. Fort Pierce (the hood) is 30 miles north and that's where my 2 previous sales have been so I'm thinking I should focus more there.

I had 2 pre-set appts. One didn't show. The other had responded to the FB lead but was in assisted living and had no money. Thankfully I had more success with door knocking, even if modest.

I've heard Doug Massi talk about knocking on 25-30 doors in a day but starting at 10am, I only made 16 before sunset. That was with the 2 appts also though. How many are you guys averaging on a December day?

So with 16 door knocks, I had 6 contacts. I think the area is working against me again because there was clearly no need at all for a couple of them (half million dollar homes and hundred thousand dollar whole life policies). But I did get a couple of lower income people, younger working people in their 50's and 60's. Again pry because they're FB leads but they're interested none the less.

I don't have delivery notices so I'm sure my contacts will go way up when I get some.

Of those 6 contacts, I had 3 sits. The 4th told me her son was power of attorney and gave me his number. I also set 2 appointments from people who said it wasn't a good time.

Of the 3 sits I sold one AIG to a 65 year old smoker with MS with multiple heart attacks and strokes. I'm thinking maybe I should just leave that in the bank.....lol.

I'm new and completely inexperienced except for the good training I've got online from Doug Massi and David Duford. Also, many of the posters here have been helpful to me as I spent hours scouring through old threads.

Any pointers or advice would be appreciated.

I spent my first day door knocking today. I'm a newer agent and pretty much brand new to FE so any feedback would be appreciated.

I've been buying Facebook leads and I'm undecided about them currently. It may be the areas though. Martin County Florida is high income and I pulled up to a lot of quarter million dollar++ houses today. Fort Pierce (the hood) is 30 miles north and that's where my 2 previous sales have been so I'm thinking I should focus more there.

I had 2 pre-set appts. One didn't show. The other had responded to the FB lead but was in assisted living and had no money. Thankfully I had more success with door knocking, even if modest.

I've heard Doug Massi talk about knocking on 25-30 doors in a day but starting at 10am, I only made 16 before sunset. That was with the 2 appts also though. How many are you guys averaging on a December day?

So with 16 door knocks, I had 6 contacts. I think the area is working against me again because there was clearly no need at all for a couple of them (half million dollar homes and hundred thousand dollar whole life policies). But I did get a couple of lower income people, younger working people in their 50's and 60's. Again pry because they're FB leads but they're interested none the less.

I don't have delivery notices so I'm sure my contacts will go way up when I get some.

Of those 6 contacts, I had 3 sits. The 4th told me her son was power of attorney and gave me his number. I also set 2 appointments from people who said it wasn't a good time.

Of the 3 sits I sold one AIG to a 65 year old smoker with MS with multiple heart attacks and strokes. I'm thinking maybe I should just leave that in the bank.....lol.

I'm new and completely inexperienced except for the good training I've got online from Doug Massi and David Duford. Also, many of the posters here have been helpful to me as I spent hours scouring through old threads.

Any pointers or advice would be appreciated.

You are in Florida and have mentioned Doug Massie at least two times in your post. You will do fine IF you get the proper training. The free stuff that’s around is MUCH better than us older guys had when we started but it’s not even close to proper training and mentoring. I would call Doug up if you haven’t already. Get under his wing. New agents greatly underestimate how much proper, ongoing training will shorten your learning curve. It makes all the difference in the world.

You are in Florida and have mentioned Doug Massie at least two times in your post. You will do fine IF you get the proper training. The free stuff that’s around is MUCH better than us older guys had when we started but it’s not even close to proper training and mentoring. I would call Doug up if you haven’t already. Get under his wing. New agents greatly underestimate how much proper, ongoing training will shorten your learning curve. It makes all the difference in the world.

I'm in David Duford's agency so I have access to his training and mentoring digitally and via phone call. I could ride with him if I flew out there, but he also has hours of recorded sales calls which I've been listening to as well, memorizing the scripts.

I've made 3 sales off my first week of FB leads but I'll be going back out to 2 of the houses for amendments due to my own errors. I'm finding the carrier knowledge is more of a hangup than the actual sales part. And probably the location issues I mentioned before also. But David is available for questions anytime and I usually reach out to him a couple times a week at least.

Get in touch with a telesales IMO, and experience less of this .

No reason to post this as a response other than your own weak ego, @Rob Lion ... You may have failed at F2F FE sales, but @Abrasax has a lot more going for him in terms of “success attitude” than you seem to have had as evident from his opening post and his response to Newby. I don’t mean this to be personal any more than it needs to be to keep you from advising this agent to jump from this to that the way you did. Seriously, he should go from his first day knocking doors to telesales? And next month you’ll be back here telling him to forget life insurance because annuities - or Cutco Cutlery - is where it’s at. Stick to one thing for a year, and then dole out the advice.

No reason to post this as a response other than your own weak ego, @Rob Lion ... You may have failed at F2F FE sales, but @Abrasax has a lot more going for him in terms of “success attitude” than you seem to have had as evident from his opening post and his response to Newby. I don’t mean this to be personal any more than it needs to be to keep you from advising this agent to jump from this to that the way you did. Seriously, he should go from his first day knocking doors to telesales? And next month you’ll be back here telling him to forget life insurance because annuities - or Cutco Cutlery - is where it’s at. Stick to one thing for a year, and then dole out the advice.
Why are you so angry lol. I didn't fail at F2F I realized I hated driving for hours, only to experience no shows or bull$hitters. If he's already taking facebook leads I don't see why it's bad advice to try to sell them over the phone they are already comfortable filling it out online. He may not be a door knocker, he may be a phone guy it doesn't hurt to try.

@Abrasax you made a fine choice I believe, I myself listen to Duford and Massi YouTube videos frequently. One thing about being new to this business is you want always to be learning, and always to be keeping your attitude positive. Three sales off your first order of FB leads is a great result. And in the beginning, amendments happen. You will get fewer and fewer as you write more applications and you get sharper with your field underwriting.

While the typical FE client does not necessarily even own the house they are living in, much less own a $250,000+ house, I can tell you that some of them do. My advice is not to prejudge, and just get in front of as many people who filled out a lead card or FB form as you can, and give each one your best FE presentation. Be careful not to give them reasons not to buy - you present the product, and let them provide the objections. But in general, you want to be in poor, slightly shabby, depressed areas, whether small cities or towns and rural areas. When I knock the door of a home in an area of $250,000 homes, I like it when I see some pealing paint on the door jamb as I knock, and a sun faded big wheel laying on its side with weeds growing around it and a lawn that isn’t at all “manicured.” But you just do not know who is on the other side of that door and whether they are a sale or not unless you get in and present.

Last edited:
Why are you so angry lol. I didn't fail at F2F I realized I hated driving for hours, only to experience no shows or bull$hitters. If he's already taking facebook leads I don't see why it's bad advice to try to sell them over the phone they are already comfortable filling it out online. He may not be a door knocker, he may be a phone guy it doesn't hurt to try.

I’m not angry. I thought you were the guy who bounced between three or four IMO’s in about the same amount of months and now you’ve been preaching telesales for a month or two. Would you take advice from you?

I’m not angry. I thought you were the guy who bounced between three or four IMO’s in about the same amount of months and now you’ve been preaching telesales for a month or two. Would you take advice from you?
Sorry that I have more self awareness than you do? I decided to see what other IMOs can actually offer so new agents don't have to waste their time. I don't have to stick around for a year to realize every IMO literally recycles the same system.

Get in touch with a telesales IMO, and experience less of this .

I've talked to a few. It's been tempting. They tend to be just as full of crap as any other FE IMO. I do have a much stronger phone background than face to face sales and I've been managing a call center for the past year (non insurance related). However, I'm also at a place where I need the highest probability of making a high income quickly and aside from taking you or anyone else at their word, the best proven way of doing this in life insurance is with good old fashioned door knocking, and I'm setting appointments just because I know I can. I've also written some MP and IUL previously so I am only moderately green F2F.

My immediate goal is to go full time selling insurance, and to do that I need to get very good at FE. Once my income is where I want it to be I may try a couple other things but they will be my own experiments and won't require relying on recruiters.

Also, I do want to sell by phone. I'm contracted with LBL and the outliers I get (an hour away in the wrong direction) will likely be sold by phone or nothing. I just don't want to go through the whole process of getting a dialer and learning the processes. I feel like FE seems so simple but honing your behaviors to ensure profitability takes a tremendous amount of my focus. I'm throwing everything I have at this because I KNOW I can succeed at it, and I know the money can be great. In my mind I'm already there, I'm just waiting for the process to catch up.

Anyways, I gotta run. I have an appointment and then about 10 doors to knock on before I have to come home early to take the wife out for our Christmas date.

Last edited:
Back