Passing Out Flyers Door to Door

They work well for pizza joints and Chinese restaurants.

Here is a thought.

Approach a Chinese restaurant and offer to buy space on their take out menu's.

I tried that idea before...placed a card size ad at the local pizza shop. The only problem they decided to fully change the menue after a few month. Lost my $275 cost of the ad. :nah:

I've had very good luck with flyers in my construction biz. You prob arent going to get any calls the first time you put them out but after you hit the same area 5 times you prob will. I hit one area in KC...but i've put thousands of flyers out in that area. I can assure you everybody in that 5,000 home area knows who we are.

I've not tried it with insurance but I may pick a 1,000 home area and hit it a few times...it's cheap advertisng....one sell will cover the cost.

Thats interesting that you say this. We get a lot of door hangers where we live. Especially from landscape type companies. One company has been leaving their same business card/flyer on our door now for several 4-5 years (the only one of ALL that i might recognize). Its easily identifiable in the colors and design they chose.

As a result whenever i get it i always recognize the company right away and wonder why they keep leaving it on our door and if they have any success for their efforts. Iow when i come home and see their card once again on the door they look familiar to me vs any other company who doesn't

I guess the point i am making is that i am beginning to recognize their 'brand' AND i am starting to THINK about them also. They start to feel 'familiar' to me on some level.

Then perhaps if i started looking for a landscape company and came across their advertisement (colors/logo/BRAND) then whether i realized it or not (that it was this same company) i MIGHT have a greater inclination to purchase from them vs some other company (colors/brand/logo) who i wouldn't otherwise IDENTIFY with or recognize.

One can easily see in this example how 'BRANDING' works on an individual etc.

But the question becomes how much money has to be spent to pay someone to go around on a regular basis to hand out the flyers (unless the agent does it themselves) and can the money/time be spent in other ways more effectively. The branding might be better for larger companies (or those agents who have the $$$) that have the resources to SOLICIT in multiple ways eventually hoping they might get the same effect as this little landscaping company has w/ me.

Any agent who is door knocking would be foolish NOT to leave a flyer for those who don't answer (and for those who do!).

We consistantly do multiple types of advertising that i can say has FAILED :D or atleast NOT had the desired success that we would have hoped for! But it is against my religion to BECOME A SUCKER to these LEAD COMPANIES!

Have learned in the process insur isn't the easiest or best thing to advertise successfully !@#$@!#&^?!?!!!!

But having an advertisingj/biz background i know that although the efforts may not have = as much success as we would have hoped for someone had to of seen the ads and EVENTUALLY (i always like to think atleast LOL) i will find the right "phrase that pays" and in the process might start to get some name brand recognition through all of our efforts!

So perhaps it all (ads) up in the end!

Last edited:
The key is to get your name as a "Household" name. Everybody in our "farming" areas knows who we are. They also know we have been in business a long time because they have been getting our fliers for the last umpteen years-that is a good sign and gives them confidence in hiring us. I also get a lot of referrals off my fliers because people pass them around to their friends and co-workers.

I'm not sure filers would be worth the investment for FE and med supps. Would prob work better for P&C-every house then would be a potential customer.

I passed out about 400-500 flyers today some people I spoke with most not home or didn't open the door but people will start to know me more and more.

Plus the workout isn't to bad. :)

sounds like a way to get in my 4 mile walk and conduct business at the same time.....will look into purchasing door hangers as an added marketing tool

I put out doorhanger for 5 years straight - used Door Hangers - Printing - DoorHangers.com - universal single-sided for 3 cents a pop - 100,000 for $299.

I was selling individual health and here's my results:

1) The best return was "lower middle" - moving into middle class and uppper middle was very poor results.

2) Return for leads was half of 1%. So 10,000 hangers resulted in 50 leads.

3) My closing was 1 out of 8 which means 6 deals.

4) Back then, my average commish was $500 = $3,000 on a $300 investment. Great ROI

Other points worth noting:

1) I could put out 150 per day which meant getting all 10,000 out took 50 days. That's about 2 months which means that $3,000 commission averaged out to $375 per week.

2) It's quite physically demanding - you have about 2 hours of it max unless you're in great shape.

3) You need to get all 10,000 out. You cannot make ROI calculations based on getting 200, 500 or even 2,000 out. Some weeks I'd get 1 lead, other weeks I'd get 8 and others I'd get zero.

Avoid managed properties - especially apartment complexes, senior housing, etc...It's a matter of time before you get a call from the property manager. One manager threatened to call the police and file trespassing charges unless I came back and took them all down.

Expect a few nasty calls from homeowners who hate getting these things on their doors. Not many, but expect it. Honor all no soliciting signs.

Last edited:
I pay a company to put out my fliers.....$550 for 5,000 fliers. You will get a few nasty calls but I always have a little fun with those people-they are usually mad at the world...It takes much more of their time to call then to just throw the flier away. I have yet to try fliers with insurance, just my painting business.

I put out doorhanger for 5 years straight - used Door Hangers - Printing - DoorHangers.com - universal single-sided for 3 cents a pop - 100,000 for $299.

I was selling individual health and here's my results:

1) The best return was "lower middle" - moving into middle class and uppper middle was very poor results.

2) Return for leads was half of 1%. So 10,000 hangers resulted in 50 leads.

3) My closing was 1 out of 8 which means 6 deals.

4) Back then, my average commish was $500 = $3,000 on a $300 investment. Great ROI

Other points worth noting:

1) I could put out 150 per day which meant getting all 10,000 out took 50 days. That's about 2 months which means that $3,000 commission averaged out to $375 per week.

2) It's quite physically demanding - you have about 2 hours of it max unless you're in great shape.

3) You need to get all 10,000 out. You cannot make ROI calculations based on getting 200, 500 or even 2,000 out. Some weeks I'd get 1 lead, other weeks I'd get 8 and others I'd get zero.

Avoid managed properties - especially apartment complexes, senior housing, etc...It's a matter of time before you get a call from the property manager. One manager threatened to call the police and file trespassing charges unless I came back and took them all down.

Expect a few nasty calls from homeowners who hate getting these things on their doors. Not many, but expect it. Honor all no soliciting signs.

Hey John,

I know I haven't put out nearly as many door hangers as you but did you visit the local Police Station and let them know you where in the area before doing that, I've always done this and provided my info haven't had a complaint yet but I have avoided the managed properities.

If I could ask, how long did it take you to pass out 400-500 flyers?

Unless you are flat broke I would pay a company to put out fliers....400-500 isn't going to get much response...you will have to put out 4000, 5000 and do it every month for at least 3-6 months before you will see results. And i'm not sure you will get many calls then. Like the other poster said, hit lower middle class areas.

Back