Seminars

todder

Expert
I will preface this post by saying that I understand that "seminars aren't what they used to be" and "turn outs are going down..." "they are to costly" etc. etc. So I hope I don't get a discussion heading down that path. I believe they are still viable way to generate clients if done right and are just part of your entire marketing program. I am sure we are going to see a ton of Roth conversion seminar next year. I was wondering who out there is doing seminars and having good success? If so what is your topic you are using to generate interest? Where did you get your seminar? For example: created it myself, your fmo supplied, purchased from a mailing/seminar invitation company, purchased from a "guru" etc. I'd be curious if anyone out there knows of a good seminar that I could use w/o having to join an fmo? Looking forward to anyone's input.

I 've seen ads around for doug warren (roth system) form different fmo's He's direct also (www.rothboom.com) I do a IAR talk with 4 powerplay ideas (insurance and manged money) and a bonus idea?? I got it from my RIA,had good success,

I think anyone looking to get into seminars must pick up Frank Maselli's books he is The Man! www.frankmaselli.com.

I do know a few guys that I used to work with that got into seminars after our appointment system broke down, and they were doing about 10-20 mil a year off of seminars with a "probate avoidance-Safe Harbor " type presentation.
It is doable with a good marketing plan and presentation BUT it has gotten a lot tougher out there.
I know there are some very good IRA presentations out there, maybe an ED Slott type of deal.

boy with Ed Slott you better bring your check book, as it doesn't come cheap.you could argue that you get what you pay for??

Everyone I know of who did anything with Slott did it once and once only. If you want Slott's "special deal" where he comes to your seminar, you better do 10 mil of sales then and there. Even the ones who just give away a Slott book for a come-on seem to do one seminar and then disappear.

I have found Roth conversions to be much harder to get people into then I would have expected. I started doing the topic at the beginning of this year telling people they need to start to get things in place as soon as possible. They want to come and hear about it, but getting them to bite the bullet and move some money is very, very hard. The trick is to have some good ideas on how to reduce the tax bite going in.

Seminars are pretty much a numbers game. You have to do them methodically and on schedule to see real returns. Even the best run into dry periods and it gets very depressing. Anyway, good luck!

The most recent "dry spell" with "traditional" seminar marketing seems to be lasting a bit longer than usual in this market. For those who like the teaching aspects of presenting in a seminar, I recommend doing client events where you have 5 or 6 clients "sponsor" a table i.e. be responsible for filling out a table of 6. You get 6 clients to do that and you easily could have 24 to 30 guests at an event you didn't have to shell out $2,000 to $4,000 in fees to your seminar vendors. So rather than $4K to $6K in seminar costs, you can do a client event like this and only spend about $1K for food depending on the restaurant you select and the way you choose to market this event to your clients. Just an idea!

I recommend doing client events where you have 5 or 6 clients "sponsor" a table i.e. be responsible for filling out a table of 6. You get 6 clients to do that and you easily could have 24 to 30 guests at an event you didn't have to shell out $2,000 to $4,000 in fees to your seminar vendors. So rather than $4K to $6K in seminar costs, you can do a client event like this and only spend about $1K for food depending on the restaurant you select and the way you choose to market this event to your clients. Just an idea!

A very good idea and a variation on the client event that many marketers are pushing. So, by your example, instead of contacting key clients and asking them to bring a referral, you actually put them in charge of a table so they can feel like a big shot. They invite their friends, sit at the head of the table, and the meal is "on them", so to speak.

That is very much the way Mardi Gras balls are handled where I live. The Captain of a crew buys a table for big bucks and invites his most influential business associates and closest friends. To be invited is a big deal and quite an honor. Given my location, I think something like this could go over very well.

Thanks for the idea!

A very good idea and a variation on the client event that many marketers are pushing. So, by your example, instead of contacting key clients and asking them to bring a referral, you actually put them in charge of a table so they can feel like a big shot. They invite their friends, sit at the head of the table, and the meal is "on them", so to speak.

That is very much the way Mardi Gras balls are handled where I live. The Captain of a crew buys a table for big bucks and invites his most influential business associates and closest friends. To be invited is a big deal and quite an honor. Given my location, I think something like this could go over very well.

Thanks for the idea!

You're welcome! :) There is a psychological component to this that works out in your favor as you noted in your comments. Let me know how your 1st event goes!

This is something worth considering:

The Parlor Practice

By Larry Silver March 1, 2008

With "no call" lists preventing marketing via cold calling, and seminars and ads too expensive for most financial advisors, particularly those new to the industry, new methods of introducing ourselves to prospective clients need to be considered.

Of course, referrals are always the method of choice. But many new advisors don't have clients with enough experience with them to feel comfortable making referrals. And experienced advisors may be tapped out of conventional client referrals. There is also the need to be efficient in prospecting. Making one presentation to 10 prospects is always preferable to making 10 individual pitches. So it may be time to take a page out of the marketing book used by many successful charities in their fundraising-parlor meetings.

More intimate and informal than a seminar, parlor meetings are where one person invites friends and relatives to hear a message that is deemed important to them. These forums have been used very successfully by advisors over the years..........

The Parlor Practice - On Wall Street

Back