What is AARP?

Al,

Once again you open your mouth and prove your ignorance.

The only ignorance here is yours. You claim to serve the senior market but you don't have the first idea of how seniors feel about the AARP. You are the typical insurance agent who thinks he knows more about seniors... but who does not know s--t.

What part of that is not documented well enough for you AL?

You see? You don't get it. You are not a senior. You are a 28 year old *** who somehow thinks that he knows all there is to know about those much older. My bet you are just another con man out to screw over seniors. I can't prove it, but I sure as hell suspect it.

Do you have some insider information the rest of us don't know about?

Insider info? What is this? The CIA? There are some 35 million members of this organization. So they are ALL stupid? They are ALL "taken in?" They are all idiots?

You really think that all 35 million of us are just being sold a bill of good by the AARP? Well fine. You go and tell your clients that and then tell me how well that works for you.

Look, son. I know insurance agents are not always the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree, but if you are going to work in the senior market (which I sincerely doubt you really do) you need to understand that the AARP is the ONLY organization (warts and all) that has our best interests at heart.

Do YOU? Not on your best day. I have no doubt that with the attitude you have expressed here that you hold all of us in disdain.

One day you are going to express this to some senior... and he or she is going to kick your ass across the street. I sure hope it can be me... or my wife (who was once a surgical RN and can turn you from a rooster to a hen in a New York minute.)

The Jackass

Evercare has the same horrible network in my market that Secure Horizons has. I know it is ok in some areas, but in the my market it is not a good plan and has a very small network. It is going to depend on your market, but don't be mislead by the AARP endorsement. Compare plans and networks, then decide.

Hey Chuck,

Couldn't agree more. Same here, I cover 5 counties where I am at and for three of them, Evercare doesn't even compare because either it is inferior or the Doctor isn't in the network. I really wish they roll out a better product instead of spending a ton advertising one that doesn't hold up. In some areas where there aren't many plans or with the old SNP (where almost everybody qualified), I liked it. Without the SNP, I don't see it surviving.

George
AmeriQuote.net

Yes, how dare you or anyone else disagree with Al. He's always right - that's why he's my hero.

What I don't understand is why he continually stoops below his station to post on this forum. He is just not understood by the riff-raff.

Just because I'm the only one here who appreciates him does not deter Al from expressing an opinion that he knows will generate a response from everyone here. (But not from me). I'm sure that Al received the same "warm welcome" from all the other industry forums from all his other failed careers.

I'm so glad he is the only insurance agent in America that speaks the truth. Just because EVERYONE here has more experience and takes better care of their clients is immaterial. Remember, Al is the agent who wrote an inferior (by his own admission) MA plan for his wife because he either didn't know the cost of a med supp (under $150 per month) or was too cheap to pay for it. That hasn't stopped him from posting that he was correct in doing what he did.

So, stop attacking Al or you'll I swear to god I'll come to your house and cut off your nuts!

Via Al!!!!

Rick

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for the plethora of information guys. You're all very kind.

George, how does one get to sell AARP endorsed plans? Do you just get appointed with UHC or Evercare? I don't plan to sell em; I'm just curious since I see so many of em (Secure Horizon).

Yes, how dare you or anyone else disagree with Al. He's always right - that's why he's my hero.

What I don't understand is why he continually stoops below his station to post on this forum. He is just not understood by the riff-raff.

Just because I'm the only one here who appreciates him does not deter Al from expressing an opinion that he knows will generate a response from everyone here. (But not from me). I'm sure that Al received the same "warm welcome" from all the other industry forums from all his other failed careers.

I'm so glad he is the only insurance agent in America that speaks the truth. Just because EVERYONE here has more experience and takes better care of their clients is immaterial. Remember, Al is the agent who wrote an inferior (by his own admission) MA plan for his wife because he either didn't know the cost of a med supp (under $150 per month) or was too cheap to pay for it. That hasn't stopped him from posting that he was correct in doing what he did.

So, stop attacking Al or you'll I swear to god I'll come to your house and cut off your nuts!

Via Al!!!!

Rick

"... cut off your nuts!"

I see you're back to your old vulgar, scatological, school-yard bullying again. I thought that ended with the "Blow me, Al" post. OK. No problem. I'll hit you back... again. It's the only thing people like you understand. It gets tiring, but I guess it has to be done. <Sigh.>

As for the MA charge... there is no "there there." My disabled wife (whom Rick attacks from time to time... makes him feel superior) does not have high doctor bills, she has high drug bills... which a med supp would not help with. If Rick actually knew anything about the senior market he would know when a supp is right and when a zero-prem MA with a built-in Part D is the best choice. But he does not know the first thing about what he professes to be an expert in. I know this as a fact. But try to convince HIM of that! (Perhaps I'll try when we meet.)

Why is Rick here? Is he here to help anyone? No, he is here to try to rule this board by intimidation. There are others who wish to do the same thing, but none with the intensity of this agent. What was the purpose of his post above? To instruct? To help? No, it was to bully.

He has this atheist, Libertarian party agenda here... as if anyone really cares. I'm sure Madalyn Murray O'Hair is turning over in her grave (and she must be there since here was no place else for her to go!)

It never ends with Rick. The truth is that I sent him a client for FE whom he totally abused such that she would never have anything ever to do with him. It has been reported here before. I can document it if anyone cares to know the story. PM me if so.

If this is the kind of agent that you look to as your mentor, by all means knock yourself out. I made the mistake of trying to do business with him. I urge you not to do the same. It was a total train-wreck.

You have a guy here who has serious anger management problems. I don't know how to fix them. He has a need to attack, attack and attack again. He lives for this. If not me, than someone else.

However, if you simply stand up to the bully he goes away. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But eventually he gets the message.

If he intimidates you, well that is something you will have to deal with. He does not intimidate me... and he is not all that happy about it! He'll be back here. It will probably be a long weekend... but this will end just like all the other times he has attacked people. He'll give it up for a few weeks... and then be back.

Why Sam lets him continue here... I will never know. I wouldn't... because he does nothing to enhance the dialectic... but it's not my call.

Al

chris-crocker-cries.jpg

I'm a member of AARP. I would not buy their insurance but they DO a lot of excellent advocacy for seniors, they publish two excellent magazines, and they have excellent member benefits and discounts.

Tell me who looks out for the best interests of senior citizens? Oh silly me, it's the insurance industry. Of course. How could I have missed that?

And of course all seniors are stupid and senile, right? It's a good thing you don't work the senior market. You would stave with your attitude.

The Jackass

Both you and seniors buy into the kool-aid that AARP is just one organization rather than two, which is exactly how their ruse works. They are an advocacy group and also have a separate division that hawks whatever crap gives the greatest profit margin without regard to what is best for seniors. They use the advocacy and champion-of-seniors-rights reputation to add legitimacy to whatever marginal product they choose to put their name on.

No one is saying that all seniors are stupid and senile as you stated. However, people are saying, and I am saying, that seniors do buy into the idea that if something has the AARP name on it then it must have passed some type of integrity or value test. Otherwise why would it have the AARP name on it? Seniors act as though buying an AARP product is the moral equivalent of buying insurance down at the local, non-profit senior citizen center. The government needs to break that incestuous relationship up. It is a frauduent misrepresentation.

From the ad on TV: "When I heard that it was endorsed by AARP, I had only one thing to say. Sign me up." Yeh, real nice suitability analysis.

You have AARP's advocacy division calling for CMS regulations to tighten up on unsuitable sales and high commissions to agents and sales seminars etc. Meanwhile, they are running a high volume telesales operation slamming seniors into products based on a two minute conversation with voice on a phone but the senior feels that because it has the AARP name on it they do not need to do much thinking or worrying.

Winter

The only ignorance here is yours. You claim to serve the senior market but you don't have the first idea of how seniors feel about the AARP. You are the typical insurance agent who thinks he knows more about seniors... but who does not know s--t.

You see? You don't get it. You are not a senior. You are a 28 year old *** who somehow thinks that he knows all there is to know about those much older. My bet you are just another con man out to screw over seniors. I can't prove it, but I sure as hell suspect it.

Insider info? What is this? The CIA? There are some 35 million members of this organization. So they are ALL stupid? They are ALL "taken in?" They are all idiots?

You really think that all 35 million of us are just being sold a bill of good by the AARP? Well fine. You go and tell your clients that and then tell me how well that works for you.

Look, son. I know insurance agents are not always the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree, but if you are going to work in the senior market (which I sincerely doubt you really do) you need to understand that the AARP is the ONLY organization (warts and all) that has our best interests at heart.

Do YOU? Not on your best day. I have no doubt that with the attitude you have expressed here that you hold all of us in disdain.

One day you are going to express this to some senior... and he or she is going to kick your ass across the street. I sure hope it can be me... or my wife (who was once a surgical RN and can turn you from a rooster to a hen in a New York minute.)

The Jackass

Wow Al, you must be right. I'm a 28 year old con artist. That makes my gradndkids VERY young indeed.

Al, I have watched you post about TRYING to break into the senior market and you have failed over and over. You don't know what you're doing which you have proven through your many posts over the last few years. You bounce from MOO to this to that. You don't have a niche.

Al, I don't speak about groups of people like they are all the same. That is the definition of prejudice. I've met as many seniors that HATE AARP as ones who like them. Most are indifferent to them.

Joining AARP doesn't mean you agree with their politics. Many join for the discounts and freebees but would NEVER vote the way AARP wants members to vote or buy any of their insurance products.

If AARP was REALLY looking out for seniors, why would they sell Mediciare supplements to them that they can buy from other companies for $50 per month less? Why would they sell their whole-life insurance at rates that are higher than most any other final expense insurance company charges? Why would they sell their term life insurance to members and not make it more clear that there are schedualed premium increases every 5-years and the policy ends at age 80? On the term product brochure, why don't they disclose how much the rate increases to on the age band of 76-80?

AARP is a VERY successful insurance marketing company with a great gimmick. No more, no less.

One of my good friends was the AARP chapter president in northern Atlanta for several years. I knew he didn't go along with MUCH of what AARP puts out as facts. He told me the local chapters don't give a rats-ass what the national guys say or do. They all have their own little political leanings and the national guys just THINK they have the power over the members votes but they do not.

Winter's post pegs AARP exactly. Al, you are clueless once again. You just need to realize that people are individuals. Don't herd them together like sheep in you mind. Think of them as people, NOT sheeple. You will be more successful.

According to your theory Al, you can only sell insurance to people who are just like yourself. Don't try selling to women, plumbers, cops, Canadians, motorcycle riders or people who like the free enterprise system because you are not like them and they won't accept you. They ALL think alike with one mindset Al and I can promise you, they won't let you in the door. :yes:

Al, I suggest you cut back on the caffine and MSG, get a new puppy or a hobby and relax a little bit. You're wound a little tight.

Wow. Thanks for the plethora of information guys. You're all very kind.

George, how does one get to sell AARP endorsed plans? Do you just get appointed with UHC or Evercare? I don't plan to sell em; I'm just curious since I see so many of em (Secure Horizon).

I was appointed through Secure Horizons/UHC directly last year. Along with it came exclusivity/captivity. I dropped the appointment once the Med Sups were finally released to us to sell and they were not competitive with what I was already selling. The MA plans were as I said not competitive, the benefits were less in many areas compared to other local plans and their network was miniscule. The strategy at the UHC office was to emphasize the relationship with AARP and gloss over the inadequacies of the plan. At the end of the season most of the sales and management staff was laid off due to no production.

Why do you want to sell AARP endorsed plans after everything you have seen posted? They are not competitive in many areas and therefore are not the best option for your future clients. Find a marketing group and appoint with whoever has the best priced Med Sups and go to medicare.gov and find out who is offering the best MA's in your particular area and get appointed to sell them, soon. The AEP is nearly here.

al3; said:
You have a guy here who has serious anger management problems.

Al, I seem to recall something about casting the first stone.

By the way, I never have said anythig negative about your wife, I only repeated what you said about preferring the superior supp policy vs. MA that an ignorant agent recommeneded. You pointed this out first, not me.

But, I still love you and one day hope to visit you in the looney bin (funded by taxpayers, of course).

Rick

Back