What is AARP?

Here's why I joined the AARP:

I was leasing a new Lincoln and the dealer said "We can give you $1,000 off if you belong to AARP." I got online, paid my $6.00 and received a $1,000 discount. Pretty good return on my investment.

Within a couple of weeks, I was deluged with new junk mail (including a crap-load of free lunch seminar invitations).

Here's how the typical Senior views AARP:

They are a non-profit organization that "interviews" insurance companies to get the best deals for their members. If the AARP endorses a product, then it must be the best thing available.

We, of course, know this is not true. One thing the AARP is good at is marketing and making money.

I wish I had thought of it first.

Here's why I joined the AARP:

I was leasing a new Lincoln and the dealer said "We can give you $1,000 off if you belong to AARP." I got online, paid my $6.00 and received a $1,000 discount. Pretty good return on my investment.

Thats just typical sales hype though. Believe me if you wanted the car and did not want to belong to AARP you would have gotten the discount anyway.

Winter

I was appointed through Secure Horizons/UHC directly last year. Along with it came exclusivity/captivity. I dropped the appointment once the Med Sups were finally released to us to sell and they were not competitive with what I was already selling. The MA plans were as I said not competitive, the benefits were less in many areas compared to other local plans and their network was miniscule. The strategy at the UHC office was to emphasize the relationship with AARP and gloss over the inadequacies of the plan. At the end of the season most of the sales and management staff was laid off due to no production.

Why do you want to sell AARP endorsed plans after everything you have seen posted? They are not competitive in many areas and therefore are not the best option for your future clients. Find a marketing group and appoint with whoever has the best priced Med Sups and go to medicare.gov and find out who is offering the best MA's in your particular area and get appointed to sell them, soon. The AEP is nearly here.

Thanks, Patch. I specifically mentioned that I didn't want to sell them - just wanted to learn as much as possible about them.

Thanks, Patch. I specifically mentioned that I didn't want to sell them - just wanted to learn as much as possible about them.

I misunderstood.

I am a member of AARP. I have never gotten any discounts but the old adage about keep you friends close and your enemies closer comes to mind.

AARP has brand image that gives their endorsed "products" a free pass with a majority of consumers. They have simply been able to convience the majority of the public to "ignore the man behind the curtain."

I'm that way with HP, I can't help but look favorably at HP products for my office... I too suffer from brand loyalty.

I commend AARP on their success. I wish I could gain that kind of brand loyalty.

Cancelled my membership & they still mail me junk mail!

Amazing how a decent discussion can go south so quick.

Either some folks on this board are too thin skinned, taking their crabby pills or desperately need to get laid or get over it.
P.S. I am a young 58 & like the others in my generation I do not like the term senior. That would be my mom, she's 81

Thats just typical sales hype though. Believe me if you wanted the car and did not want to belong to AARP you would have gotten the discount anyway.

Winter

Not so. The deal ended that evening. If I could not supply an AARP member number, then there would have been no $1,000 discount. I was only able to get it by applying online and getting a member number assigned.

Not so. The deal ended that evening. If I could not supply an AARP member number, then there would have been no $1,000 discount. I was only able to get it by applying online and getting a member number assigned.

Fair enough.

AARP probably has a good deal down at the car wash too. I can't keep up with that type of thing now that it has become their core mission.

:cool:

Back