What is AARP?

al3 said:
BLAH BLAH

I actually never said that I think seniors are drooling and guillible, YOU SAID THAT. I actually enjoy working with a (majority) of my senior clients, they are very worldly and friendly.

HOWEVER, my comment was directed at the *** seniors who give me a hard time on the phone because I'm with XXX Insurance Agency rather than the infallible AARP, for example. Or the *** seniors who assume that because I'm not with AARP, I don't have their best interests in mind, even though I know for a fact that I can help them get superior insurance than AARP offers.

Of course, they won't let me even get a word in because they STEREOTYPE and assume that I'm some scammer from Nigeria if I'm not from AARP.

So if you would kindly read my post.....I think I would join up with AARP as an agent just to use their name to place my prospects into superior products. They'll thank me later on if they ever bother to do the numbers, but in my experience, very, very few of my clients do ANY shopping around despite their claims and desires to do so.

I didn't learn that much from when I sold cars... but I did learn one IMPORTANT thing. Do not stereotype people. Some of the smartest richest people I ever met drove junkers and lived in poor sections of the city and dressed like trailer trash.

You're preaching to the choir, son. While I haven't had the luxury of being a used car salesman like yourself, I never stereotype people, I only stereotype the idiots for fun. And if this group of people will automatically bow to AARP just because they believe they should.....then who's stereotyping? It's like saying that the government is the ultimate correct authority in everything because they "said so."

There is a reason seniors join AARP. I suggest you FIND that reason and work WITH it... not against it.

Exactly the point of my post. I know AARP stinks, but I'd rather work them than against the 35 million+ seniors in their ranks.

Last edited:
HOWEVER, my comment was directed at the *** seniors who give me a hard time on the phone because I'm with XXX Insurance Agency rather than the infallible AARP, for example. Or the *** seniors who assume that because I'm not with AARP, I don't have their best interests in mind, even though I know for a fact that I can help them get superior insurance than AARP offers.

There is one of your problems. You ASSUME they are idiots. They are not. They "know" AARP... they don't know YOU. They don't talk to you because they love AARP, it is because they fear YOU.

Of course, they won't let me even get a word in because they STEREOTYPE and assume that I'm some scammer from Nigeria if I'm not from AARP.

Personally I think this speaks less about seniors and AARP than it does about your poorly thought out sales strategy. Maybe this just isn't a market you should be working.

So if you would kindly read my post.....I think I would join up with AARP as an agent just to use their name to place my prospects into superior products. They'll thank me later on if they ever bother to do the numbers, but in my experience, very, very few of my clients do ANY shopping around despite their claims and desires to do so.

Well, again, all I can say is that either you are selling to a low IQ demographic OR you are one crappy salesman. The vast majority of seniors have plenty of time on their hands and they are curious and by nature "trusting." Why do you think they get scammed all the time?

What you are telling me is that you don't have a clue on how to approach them... and you blame THEM (me, us) for your shortcomings.

I suggest you give up the senior market and work with a younger demographic. I think you will do a lot better.

I know AARP stinks,

You are going to get nowhere with that "tude." The AARP has some worts, but it does not "stink" and if that is the message you are conveying to seniors... NO WONDER they think you are an *** and want nothing to do with you.

Another thing I learned selling cars. You don't drive into a Ford dealership to sell the owner or manager a big ticket item (like a new lift or expensive diagnostic computer) and drive a Toyota.

You go into a AARP member's home or office with your "AARP STINKS" attitude and you are going to get your ass kicked each and every time.

Why do you argue with me? I'm one of the oldest people on this board... 61 on Dec. 1. I think I know a little something about how people in my generation think, as well as our parents if alive. You want to listen to a 30-something on this subject... knock yourself out.

Please... drop the anti-AARP attitude and embrace them. Walk in with info on how they can join. Ask them if they use any of the discounts. On the phone start off by telling them AARP is a GREAT organization for seniors (which most think it is... for me it's just OK... nothing special) but that it would be prudent for them to have another set of eyes look at their insurance portfolio because AARP are not ALWAYS a PERFECT for ALL people.

Appeal to their reason... not their stupidity.

Geez, this is Sales 101. Who trained you to sell in the senior market? Atillia the Hun?

One last comment. You can put on an "act" and get away with it with some seniors. But if you really hate the AARP and in your heart of hearts think that we who belong to it are idiots... you are not going to do well in this market and my suggestion above to change is advice you should think about.

Good luck to you. You are going to need it.

The Jackass

Not to get in the middle of this pissing match, but here in the Midwest people DO NOT like the AARP. I would venture to say, if I endorsed them they would kick me right out of there house...

Unless you go in the inner city were there are more liberals prevalent, that’s when I whip out my AARP card.

Question for you Al...

What exactly has the AARP done that is so great for seniors?

I know back when they were the American Association for Retired Persons they watched out for political issues that affected retired people. But from what I read (I do not know this and that's why I ask) when they changed their name to AARP and went after the 50+ age people, there are political issues that favor the Baby Boomers but hurt 70+ age retirees and vice-versa.

By broadening their base they weakened their political effectiveness because their members are more diverse. So I wonder if there is anything in recent years they have done politically that is considered a good thing by you.

I and others have discussed how their sale of insurance products is very misleading to their client members. The members (and it wouldn't matter if we're talking about seniors or 40-years olds) put their guard down with AARP branded products and have a false sense of security with them. As you well know, they do NOT offer the best value with most products and at least two (their term-life and whole-life) are some of the worst products on the market in their category.

I have never said I wouldn't join AARP. Like I said, I think their membership is a loss-leader for them. If it gets me discounts or other benefits, I will certainly join (I'm 2-years away from that.) But I think their marketing of insurance products is basically greedy executives that are taking advantage of people. If they were REALLY looking out for their members, they would be giving unbiased recommendations about products that they are NOT PAID to endorse (sort of like a consumer reports for senior products.)

Question for you Al...

What exactly has the AARP done that is so great for seniors?

It is a good question which I don't have a really good answer for. I think for everyone it is different. However the general consensus that I hear when I talk to others my age and older is that in this (our) youth-obsessed culture, AARP "talks" to us adults... and talks FOR us to policy makers.

That said, I think MOST seniors join AARP for the more tangible benefits like the discounts and the good reading material. But the politics are important to many.

Put it this way. Go run for office and propose a cut in social security or medicare... and you will see "the power" of the AARP.

Why didn't Bush and the Reps get social security privatized (which I think was not such a bad concept, although I would fear the implementation of it... maybe engender another "scam" like PFFS plans.)? Because AARP could speak FOR 35 million people who actually go out and VOTE.

As they say, decisions are made by those who show up.

My mother, age 83 and who has ALL of her mental facilities, writes her state and federal representatives every two weeks on "the issues." How often does your representative hear from you?

My generation is well educated and it knows the value of organizing... to end segregation, to protest and help end a war, and to protect the environment.

The current generation would rather elect a mayor with a poor education who "ran" a town of 9,000 people and who kills moose... instead of an "organizer."

We get what we deserve.

The Jackass

The current generation would rather elect a mayor with a poor education who "ran" a town of 9,000 people and who kills moose... instead of an "organizer."

We get what we deserve.

The Jackass

Hopefully. I know that dems have now moved into a leadership role as far as making sure that the experience of women in society is devalued, but dont overlook the fact that she is the most popular governor in America based on the polls. I know that the dems dont value little jobs like governor when it comes to women. It is clear to most people now that the dems never supported the advancement of women in society, only the advancement of democrats. What a nasty little inconvenient truth the dems are dealing with now. Even Hillary argued, that with all her experience, the dems would still side with a man over an experienced woman.

You are paying for it too as your party is in tatters right before the election. You may still win but there is not a single person on this planet who does not believe that Obama frigged up by not choosing Hillary and that the dems are dealing with rampid sexism both within and against the republicans. Nasty. What a nasty party. What an embarassment.

Meanwhile, the Republicans have a babe on the ticket. You try to blame it on the ignorant public rather than recognize the stupidty of your own party.

Yes she can.

:cool:

RANT RANT INSULT INSULT

Good luck to you. You are going to need it.

The Jackass

And rather than responding to my post neutrally and succinctly, we have a 61-year old man insulting me over the internet over several paragraphs while defending AARP when it has been proven time and time again on this board that many of their products are inferior to those outside the organization.

Thanks, but no thanks, to your "wish of luck." It is phony and insincere, and as already stated, I am already successful with the senior market and enjoy working with them. You assume far too much about my situation to earn the right to wish me your used car-salesman "luck."

What I am frustrated about are the idiots, young or old, who will assume an organization like AARP is the default best option for their situation "just because." I never said all, or even MOST seniors/juniors think like this, only the minority. Yet this same minority is still a group of people who refuse to believe there is anything BUT AARP out there that can be better.

Let's stop this childish ego-pissing match now. I respect your beliefs about AARP, but don't expect everyone to agree or subscribe to them. And certainly don't expect me to agree with ANY of your points while you're calling me an *** over the internet. :twitchy: I will agree to disagree with you on this one....

And rather than responding to my post neutrally and succinctly, we have a 61-year old man

Interesting phrase. I think you are showing a bit of ageism here, but maybe not. What is the difference in the context of your remarks below what my age is... or if I was white or black.. or male or female?

insulting me

I didn't insult you. I didn't mean to anyway. Usually when I insult someone there is no question about it... and I own up to it. This is just not one of those times. Sorry you read it that way.

over the internet over several paragraphs while defending AARP when it has been proven time and time again on this board that many of their products are inferior to those outside the organization.

I didn't think it was about the AARP so much as it is your bad attitude to those who joined... which is some 35 million people.

Thanks, but no thanks, to your "wish of luck." It is phony and insincere,

I was quite sincere. I do wish you luck... and I do think you will need it if you continue the way you have. It was not an insult.

and as already stated, I am already successful with the senior market and enjoy working with them.

Than why are you upset at the AARP? It seems to me you are moaning that they are somehow harming your business. I thought that's what this was all about?

You assume far too much about my situation to earn the right to wish me your used car-salesman "luck."

OK, then I wish you bad luck. I hope you fall on your ass. Are you happy now? Jeez, Louise, you are just full of yourself here.

What I am frustrated about are the idiots, young or old, who will assume an organization like AARP is the default best option for their situation "just because."

My position is that the AARP is (or should be) a non-entity in your business plan... if you understand the reasons people join. I've tried to convey that to you... for all the thanks I got!

I never said all, or even MOST seniors/juniors think like this, only the minority. Yet this same minority is still a group of people who refuse to believe there is anything BUT AARP out there that can be better.

Minority or majority. Neither of us can prove it one way or the other. Again, it makes no difference if you understand the sales dynamic when dealing with somone in their 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Let's stop this childish ego-pissing match now.

Until now I thought it was on a pretty high level... for THIS board!

I respect your beliefs about AARP, but don't expect everyone to agree or subscribe to them.

Of course not. I don't care who, if anyone, agrees with me. Why should I?

And certainly don't expect me to agree with ANY of your points while you're calling me an *** over the internet.

Did I use the word "***" anywhere? I don't think you are an ***. I think you are a lousy insurance salesperson. There is a big difference there. Some of the best salespeople I know in this business... are total idiots!

I will agree to disagree with you on this one.

Well, all's well that ends well. We're cool.

The Almost 61 Year Old Jackass

It's going to be interesting to find out what will happen to the co-branding arrangement of AARP with UHC/Secure Horizons now that co-branding MAs has been outlawed.

AARP is a pretty top notch organization, their Med Supps in a lot of areas aren't the best priced, their Part D policies can be good depending on what drugs the person takes. It's a good company to have in your med supp porfolio, so you can say you have earned the right to sell their product.

You can explain how you actually had to go through the training with AARP to sell their med supp, and their company policy (no kidding) is that if another product is a better fit for the customer they want you to do that.

In a limited number of cases, they are actually the best product to go with. Mostly its people with a ton of pre-existings that can't be issued with another carrier, but somehow are magically still standard with AARP.

They are tied for 8th best priced I sell along with BlueCross BlueShield of TN, but there IS a great value to having those 2 in your portfolio even if you NEVER sell them. There are a lot of people that sell JUST BlueCross or AARP, and they will tell your customers that they cannot trust your "no name" products. You can show them the products side by side and say you will be more than happy to give them whichever they choose, then pull out the financials for the companies, sit them side by side, and ask why they think the other guy said they couldn't trust a AM Best A rated company (Gerber or MOO) vs a NR Unranked company like BlueCross.

Gives you instant credibility about ALL the products as an indie that the other guy just basically gave away.

Back