What is AARP?

taking their crabby pills

They aren't on my formulary and they aren't available on the $4 generic list at Wally Mart.

If I could not supply an AARP member number, then there would have been no $1,000 discount.

There are plenty of guys on this forum not too far removed from car sales that could probably shed some light on that.

Not calling you a liar, mind you, just saying . . .

I understand it's a non-profit organization for seniors. I'm thinking about selling Medicare Supps/MAs to my existing senior clients. I've noticed many of em have AARP. Are they doing business as a carrier? How do their policies stack up against other For-profit carriers? Should I seek an appointment with them (in CA)?

"You can't expect to change the other person, but you can change yourself."

So, I know AARP stinks, but the fact of the matter is, gullible seniors will drop their shorts and follow my commands as soon as I drop the AARP name on the phone and hit them with a one-call close.

Is there any way for me to join the AARP as an agent, but use the AARP hype/marketing/brainwashing to sell senior prospects superior products that are actually good deals?

Independent Agent:
"Hi, I'm BiggitySwat from Tiki Hut Insurance Agency. I was wondering if---"
<CLICK>
"Hello? Hello? F*CK!"

Pimping Seniors with AARP:
"Hi, I'm BiggitySwat, a representative with AARP. I was wondering if you had a chance to review the brochure we sent you on health plans and affordable life insurance."
"AARP!!?!"
"Why yes, I'm with AARP, and...."
"WHERE IS THE DOTTED LINE? HOLD ON WHILE I GET MY PEN.....AND MY BLOOD THINNER BECAUSE MY HEART RATE JUST WENT UP BECAUSE AARP CALLED!!!!"

Basically AARP does have two Arms the Advocacy group which does support senior issues and the Marketiung arm for example UHC med supps.

We can argue whether these products are good or not but obviously 35m members does give them some clout for their members

Pimping Seniors with AARP:
"Hi, I'm BiggitySwat, a representative with AARP. I was wondering if you had a chance to review the brochure we sent you on health plans and affordable life insurance."
"AARP!!?!"
"Why yes, I'm with AARP, and...."

Usually the way that goes is that they say. "I dont know. I get so much junk mail from them every week I usually just toss it out. I had a woman unload on me bigtime because one the AARP flyers for vitamins had garlic capsules in it and the garlic capsules did not say on the bottle how many milligrams of garlic they had. She wanted me to commit to contacting AARP and getting that fixed. Uh. okay.

Basically AARP does have two Arms the Advocacy group which does support senior issues and the Marketiung arm for example UHC med supps.

We can argue whether these products are good or not but obviously 35m members does give them some clout for their members

Exactly. I may not agree with what AARP has done in the past, but I can respect there business model.

Instead of finding ways to smear AARP's name as an agent wouldn't it be better to find a value oriented way to capitalize off their business model.

It goes along with branding, and heavy marketing-advertising.

Ever heard of AARP? Yes

How about NASE?

I rest my case!!!!!

They many not ALL be stupid, but there are a lot of lemming's in that crowd.

Same can be said for thos who think BX is the only carrier to use for health & Medicare plans.

Yes, I'm familiar with car dealer tricks and "incentives."

However, I lease (or did lease) a Lincoln every 2 years. The new lease was already done when the dealer told me "By the way, you don't happen to belong to AARP, do you?" I think they were trying not to insult me age-wise. "Because if you do, we can knock another $1,000 off the price if you have a member number we can send in with the paperwork."

It was a Grand in my pocket because Ford and AARP had their deal. Don't get me wrong, I don't care for AARP --but it was a good $6 investment nonetheless. The resulting junk mail is easy enough to chuck.

I agree with everyone who says you don't speak unfavorably about any other products or companies. It looks bad on you and just gets people's guard up anyway.

I don't agree with Al that all seniors love and trust AARP. It may be an Indiana/Kentucky thing but lots of them HATE AARP around here. Many others are members but could take them or leave them.

AARP ran a lot of full-page car insurance ads here all summer naming 3-other companies and saying they were less expensive. Every senior I talk to (even the ones that like AARP) tell me they compared and AARP was MUCH higher. Things like that loses them a lot of credibility.

They are smart with most of their advertising to never imply they will save people money because they are just not price competitve around here.

I don't agree with Al that all seniors love and trust AARP..

I didn't say "all" and I didn't mean to imply "all." But they DO have 35 million members. Why is that? Because all 35 million are duped into paying the six bucks?

I believe that if they didn't like or trust the AARP they would not pay the money. I know I wouldn't. You wouldn't. So why do you think (I assume) millions and millions of members would?

Yes, some members will buy anything with the AARP label on it. Some people will buy anything with the Good Housekeeping seal.... or the Disneyland brand on it... or any number of brands that are more about marketing then quality of product or service.

For the most part the AARP delivers on what they promise.

AARP Discounts

Use your AARP card to get discounts on services such as retail, travel, and internet access.
Exclusive AARP-Endorsed Insurance Programs

Get access to members-only home, auto, life, health and other types of insurance offered by top providers such as The Hartford, United Health Care, Aetna, New York Life, and others.
Advocacy Information

A voice in Washington and in your state, representing you on issues like Medicare, Social Security, and consumer safety.
Valuable Information for Living Well

Learn more about healthy living, financial planning, consumer protection, and caring for parents.
Award-winning Publications

AARP The Magazine is packed with exciting features, and the AARP Bulletin brings you the latest news and information each month.
Community Services

Local chapters, driver safety courses, and a nationwide volunteer network.

All I can say is that if you don't like the AARP... don't join it and/or don't sell your services to those who do. Simple enough. As for me, I get my six bucks worth. YMMV.

The Jackass

Back