Is This the New "prospecting Bible?"

bob the guy should have fired his wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!. i heard rob is on the road with the boss, filling in for the "big man" clarence, i have met clarence, he was one big man. when i shook his hand, i felt like the boy in that mean joe green comercial.

The book looks to be out of date.

Look at some of the negative reviews. The one review that mentions account size is key.

A good script is important, but in the long run if you were to call the same person who say's NOT INTERESTED with as many different scripts as you can you will still get the same answer to all of them, which is NOT INTERESTED!

Smart Calling: Eliminate the Fear, Failure, and Rejection From Cold Calling by Art Sobzcak is a good book on how to put a script together. He shows you how to get to the point and not waste words. Before the call is over you want the customer to know in your opening statement exactly how you can help them.

Now where the numbers come in is that you are trying to find the people who are interested in what you have to sell. That is why it is a numbers game. It is not the script per say as much as finding out do they have a need. If they have a need they will talk to you. After you start talking to them past that initial script then you can be a problem solver and not a telemarketer on the phone.

It is like putting a fly strip up in the garage. I know over time the flies will stick, how many I don't know? But if I put up the strip they will eventually stick. You dialing and sticking to it (pardon the pun) is like putting up the fly strip.

Has anybody read this new Nick Murray book about prospecting, "The Game of Numbers?"

Amazon is overcharging for it but Murray's website has it listed at $40.00 for this self-published effort. Nick Murray is very well respected within the financial services industry so perhaps the investment would be well worth it.

Still, aside from a few Amazon reviews, has anyone here read the book and is willing to offer an opinion?

I have several of Murray's books and they are all good.

Bob K, you must be talking about Ambrosha.

Ambrosha is good Somarco, but she didn't work in my agency. I'm talking about Michele T. She is Incredible on the phones.

Frank S. would say: She knows how to give good phone!:1wink: Truly though, Michele cares & is good at helping agents understand how to work leads.

Unfortunately, she recently left to take care of her ill mother at home:( But she's still part of the HTQ family.

Finally an answer to
Still, aside from a few Amazon reviews, has anyone here read the book and is willing to offer an opinion?

I've read the book four times since it came out and each time came away with new thoughts. And I do think its the new prospecting bible!

"Game of Numbers" is the newest book by Nick Murray and is one of the best books on prospecting ever written.

It has none of the ‘new-age’ type of motivation to get over call reluctance, but is full of well-written and thorough advice and counsel to get over any kind of avoidance behavior. He lists all the avoidance behaviors.

While its written primarily for financial advisors the principles apply to anyone in sales. He wrote it for those starting their career and those looking to reboot their career like those who’ve built up a book and sat on it and forgot how to prospect or rather are once again afraid of prospecting.

For those who can sell investments or annuities, he has some excellent short scripts that get conversations moving.

What I appreciate is that he isn’t about any kind of hype, but of the solid block-and-tackling approach that stresses fundamentals. Much of what he says seems counterintuitive but the reasoning is spot-on.

One of the most important lines in the book says that our business is not insurance or investments or services or any product. "Prospecting is our business."

Prospecting is our business. Isn't that great?!

A major point he makes is that we have to look for the ‘no,’ we have to qualify hard and not just take any appointment, and we must realize that almost everyone will say ‘no’ to us.

That is, almost everyone.

In my opinion, the book demolishes the view that many have toward lead cards and lead campaigns (again, this is my view). After reading the book I’ve come to the conclusion that lead cards are a form of avoidance behavior, some form of hoping to shortcut the sales process and hope that the lead card will be some kind of magic bullet, an automatic sale, a lay down – when they never are.

I’m currently reading another of Nick Murray’s books, The Behavioral Investment Counselor. The basic theme is that contrary to what most investment advisors do, which is recommend this-n-that based on performance, that that “dominant” determinant of long-term return is not the investment performance. It’s the investor behavior.

Given that fact, which he fully reasons through, the advisor should sells his ability to control the investor’s behavior since it is so much more valuable and returns much more than any specific fund or investment recommendation.

Both of these books are the kind that once you read them, you wish they were available 25 years ago when you started this career.

One of the most important lines in the book says that our business is not insurance or investments or services or any product. "Prospecting is our business."

And he stole that from "The Goat King of Florida".

Decision Man,

Thanks for the review. Very helpful.

MTguy

Finally an answer to

I've read the book four times since it came out and each time came away with new thoughts. And I do think its the new prospecting bible!

"Game of Numbers" is the newest book by Nick Murray and is one of the best books on prospecting ever written.

It has none of the ‘new-age’ type of motivation to get over call reluctance, but is full of well-written and thorough advice and counsel to get over any kind of avoidance behavior. He lists all the avoidance behaviors.

While its written primarily for financial advisors the principles apply to anyone in sales. He wrote it for those starting their career and those looking to reboot their career like those who’ve built up a book and sat on it and forgot how to prospect or rather are once again afraid of prospecting.

For those who can sell investments or annuities, he has some excellent short scripts that get conversations moving.

What I appreciate is that he isn’t about any kind of hype, but of the solid block-and-tackling approach that stresses fundamentals. Much of what he says seems counterintuitive but the reasoning is spot-on.

Prospecting is our business. Isn't that great?!

A major point he makes is that we have to look for the ‘no,’ we have to qualify hard and not just take any appointment, and we must realize that almost everyone will say ‘no’ to us.

That is, almost everyone.

In my opinion, the book demolishes the view that many have toward lead cards and lead campaigns (again, this is my view). After reading the book I’ve come to the conclusion that lead cards are a form of avoidance behavior, some form of hoping to shortcut the sales process and hope that the lead card will be some kind of magic bullet, an automatic sale, a lay down – when they never are.

I’m currently reading another of Nick Murray’s books, The Behavioral Investment Counselor. The basic theme is that contrary to what most investment advisors do, which is recommend this-n-that based on performance, that that “dominant” determinant of long-term return is not the investment performance. It’s the investor behavior.

Given that fact, which he fully reasons through, the advisor should sells his ability to control the investor’s behavior since it is so much more valuable and returns much more than any specific fund or investment recommendation.

Both of these books are the kind that once you read them, you wish they were available 25 years ago when you started this career.

Back