Success with Ritter Marketing -

As far as I know, Bill and Warren have never been in the field selling insurance, so I don't think their example much fits ours. I know most people on here promote to learn only one product at the time, but I say if you think you can't learn Medicare and FE at the same time you're missing the boat. Neither product is rocket surgery! I have done it and I've seen many agents learn more than one product and are successful. I'm not saying that you should be targeting both products, but at least have one in your bag when you need it....and you will need it unless you just like leaving money on the table.

A new agent should only pick up one product line and master that. This is sensible business advice. Could they expand in the future... sure, if they want. But getting started, it should only be one product. This will increase their likelihood of success.

Au contraire, don't forget the Oracle of Omaha was behind GEICO's meteoric rise to success...

As far as I know, Bill and Warren have never been in the field selling insurance, so I don't think their example much fits ours. I know most people on here promote to learn only one product at the time, but I say if you think you can't learn Medicare and FE at the same time you're missing the boat. Neither product is rocket surgery! I have done it and I've seen many agents learn more than one product and are successful. I'm not saying that you should be targeting both products, but at least have one in your bag when you need it....and you will need it unless you just like leaving money on the table.

Medicare is a fairly easy cross sell if you're buying FE leads. The two go hand in hand. FE is great for up front income, while Medicare is great for long term income. Agents that do only FE will pretty much have to work every single week otherwise they have low or no commission income. If you take a week off, you pay for it but having no new sales. With Medicare sales, over time you begin to build a sizeable long term renewal income stream that shows up in your bank account without having to buy leads and work every single week. Now if an agent does both, then they get to take advantage of best of both worlds. ;)

If you are going to cross sale Med Supp, why not also offer Home Health Care, Short Term Care, Dental and Cancer? All are simple, easy to understand products that many seniors are interested in buying if they just knew about them. Once you make the first sale in the house, the second is easier and then the 3rd and 4th are almost a given. Plus, the more products you have in the house, the less likely another agent is going to get in the door.

A new agent should only pick up one product line and master that. This is sensible business advice. Could they expand in the future... sure, if they want. But getting started, it should only be one product. This will increase their likelihood of success.

Just because you and the agents you hire don't have the capability to learn 2 things at once, don't lay that off on the rest of the world. I can show you many agents that never did just one product and they are successful.

Just look at P&C for an example. With that you can write up home, automobile, pets, farms, boats, machinery of all kinds, etc. Does the new P&C agent turn down a chance to insure someone's home because they only learned how to do autos? While I understand that these all fall under one thing (P&C) they are different and have to be learned.

Here's one more way to look at it. Those of us who did learn more than one product will more than likely agree with me. Those that only learned one product because they were told by their upline to learn only one product will probably agree that learning only one product is the best way. The funny part about this, only one group of people could actually prove the other one wrong. Think about that for a minute.

The only way to tell is to
Just because you and the agents you hire don't have the capability to learn 2 things at once, don't lay that off on the rest of the world. I can show you many agents that never did just one product and they are successful.

Just look at P&C for an example. With that you can write up home, automobile, pets, farms, boats, machinery of all kinds, etc. Does the new P&C agent turn down a chance to insure someone's home because they only learned how to do autos? While I understand that these all fall under one thing (P&C) they are different and have to be learned.

Here's one more way to look at it. Those of us who did learn more than one product will more than likely agree with me. Those that only learned one product because they were told by their upline to learn only one product will probably agree that learning only one product is the best way. The funny part about this, only one group of people could actually prove the other one wrong. Think about that for a minute.
State Farm took an 8 BILLION dollar loss in one year recently. It was equated to one thing: a lack of focus. Their lack of focus made them open to taking on more risk than they had anticipated.

The only way to tell is to

State Farm took an 8 BILLION dollar loss in one year recently. It was equated to one thing: a lack of focus. Their lack of focus made them open to taking on more risk than they had anticipated.

Okay, but what was the lack of focus on if you don't mind? Was it that the leadership wasn't focused or did they put the blame squarely on the agents who were trying to sell more than one product? Come on man....apples to apples.

State Farm built their company by literally selling one product. It wasn’t until much later they have expanded their product lines. An agent will make less money being a jack of all trades

How different or similar are carrier underwriting policies for Medigap and FE coverage?

Back