Discount Cards

It usually states clearly on the card that "this is not insurance" and we cannot account for agents who lie about them to get the person 'sold' can we?

UA tries to use a discount card as their doctors and outpatient provider. In other words, when asked by the client if the doctors office visit is covered -the agent goes on some strange rant about how the discount card gets the visit to be so cheap, it's like having a co-pay that's like $30. Yeahhhhh right. Eventually, the agent just forgets to mention it's a discount card, and it becomes a card to be carried in the clients' wallet that shows benefits, an insurance card of sorts. It can get you in trouble.

If you run the numbers, a reputable dental (discount) plan is better for the client than dental insurance.

No wait
No deductible
No limit
20% off of braces (not covered with dental insurance)
Between $5 and $9 a month (rarely increases)
Reputable names (Aetna, Unicare GE, etc)

Based on their needs, figure out what's best.

If they get a cleaning once a year, dental insurance sucks, they're paying $250 or more per year (plus deductible) for a cleaning and exam that costs the same out of pocket.

And you think discount cards are a scam?

I once knew an agent who wrote that Careington with every major med. ....just said, "you want dental and vision for $49 extra a month".... the prospect said yes a lot of the time. I have no clue if the agent really explained that it was a discount card.

While we cannot account for what another agent does, we are all held accountable by the client, for the wrong doing agents- who give us all a bad name. Unfortunately. The discount card thing has gotten a bad reputation. Some of them may be good, and offer a good benefit at a good price, but the reputation of a few -attatches to the masses. Unfortunately.

I think what it comes down to is how you sell the products (including major med).

If you think you'll have 'problems' with discount products, you probably will, because you don't take the time to know the market, the product, the pratfalls, the network, the client base, etc. Or you're just dishonest. (not directed at anyone of course).

Again, I've been selling "discount products' for over 3 years and have had zero issues.

If you want to leave money on the table, that's fine, send me your unisurables, I'll take very good care of them.

If you run the numbers, most dental discount cards are not worth it either.

If someone has an immediate need (such as a crown) the numbers might work but a dentist willing to take a discount card is just as willing to discount for cash payment. Which, if you read the disclaimer, the discounts are not applied if you can't pay at the time of service.

You can also find dentists that are not in network willing to work with you in exchange for cash if you ask.

If someone has an immediate need (such as a crown) the numbers might work but a dentist willing to take a discount card is just as willing to discount for cash payment. Which, if you read the disclaimer, the discounts are not applied if you can't pay at the time of service.

You can also find dentists that are not in network willing to work with you in exchange for cash if you ask.

Agreed, but most people don't even know to ask for discount. Or are too embarrassed to ask. (I'm not!)

So, for about $100 per year for a family, the discount is assured.

Rick

Thanks for replying with my response. LOL

Agreed, but most people don't even know to ask for discount. Or are too embarrassed to ask. (I'm not!)

So, for about $100 per year for a family, the discount is assured.

Rick

LOL - no dentist is my area discounts for cash. In most cases - they charge more . . .

Tom

I know of a dentist in my area that takes cash for crowns, and gives discounts, and it ends up costing less than what the insured would have paid in deductible or co-pay { group insurance} because he wants no part of the insurance. These are people who have group insurance at my wife's work, who go to him, so I know he is not just doing it for uninsured. He does it for cash instead of taking the insurance, because he hates dealing with insurance. I guess. No discount plan required. They just ask him to do it -and he accepts cash and discounts it, and he does it for them.

I also know two doctors who tell me they would much rather deal directly with the client and with cash- but I never asked them about discount plans. And, they say it would be much cheaper and easier and discounted- if no insurance is involved.

Back