Door knocking

Years ago, while working a debit in southeastern Virginia, I may have come uncomfortably close to being shot. I had an early morning appointment to write up a single mom and her kids before she headed to work. I knocked on the door and waited. After a few minutes, two young guys came out of the side door and gruffly asked me what I wanted. I explained I was there to talk to Ms Jones about life insurance. They relaxed and told me she had to leave early for something, so I handed them my card and asked them to have her call me. They then headed across the street and disappeared into a wooded area.

The next door neighbor was a client of mine and saw me on the doorstep. As I headed to my car she called out and motioned me over. She asked, “Do you know what happened last night?” Then she explained that the 17 year old who lived in that house had shot and killed somebody at a party. As I was talking with her, the police rolled up looking for the kid. That’s when I thought to myself, “If he’d been in there, he might’ve shot me, too!”

After that, I took to standing back and off to one side of any door I knocked.

You first, look down, wipe your feet and move forward... and if need be, just push the barrel off to the side. :yes:

Ha, a solar sales guy did that to my wife years ago. It startles her, she screams.

I am at my summer office, the patio, my boys are upstairs.

We all assumed it was just a bug or something. She does not do bugs.

Then she yells my name. I and the dog are coming through the slider as my sons are coming down the stairs. He was already at the table.
This pushy asshat is talking as fast as he can as I am throwing him out and watching the boys and dog. It was 60 seconds of chaos. My boys bucking up and the dog barking.
I have to give him credit, he kept pitching as I am MFing him out the door.

The whole pushy control the meeting thing is just not my style. I only do appointments if not completely by phone anyway. I haven't knocked in over 20 years.

Ha, a solar sales guy did that to my wife years ago. It startles her, she screams.

I am at my summer office, the patio, my boys are upstairs.

We all assumed it was just a bug or something. She does not do bugs.

Then she yells my name. I and the dog are coming through the slider as my sons are coming down the stairs. He was already at the table.
This pushy asshat is talking as fast as he can as I am throwing him out and watching the boys and dog. It was 60 seconds of chaos. My boys bucking up and the dog barking.
I have to give him credit, he kept pitching as I am MFing him out the door.

The whole pushy control the meeting thing is just not my style. I only do appointments if not completely by phone anyway. I haven't knocked in over 20 years.

Many IMO's teach that crap. It is pushy and that's what they teach, be pushy. I had one of those frozen meat guys DK and try that at my house a few years ago. Looked down, wiped his feet and started in. I put my hand on his chest and said something like, if you take one more step you will find yourself planted out there. He was like, whut, whut??

But he had the good sense to leave.

I'm just waiting for one to come up now and say, should I take my shoes off? That's the new lesson. I'll say, yeah, then walk your ass barefoot back to your car and get the hell off my property. :1wink:

Many IMO's teach that crap. It is pushy and that's what they teach, be pushy. I had one of those frozen meat guys DK and try that at my house a few years ago. Looked down, wiped his feet and started in. I put my hand on his chest and said something like, if you take one more step you will find yourself planted out there. He was like, whut, whut??

But he had the good sense to leave.

I'm just waiting for one to come up now and say, should I take my shoes off? That's the new lesson. I'll say, yeah, then walk your ass barefoot back to your car and get the hell off my property. :1wink:

“ Mr Jd I drove 80 miles just to see you . Takes 5 mins we can sit right there “ “ Mr Jd takes 3 mins . If it’s something your not interested in I’ll shake your hand and leave “ “ Mr Jd I’ll be out of your hair quicker than the shampoo in the morning “ . “ Jd takes 3 mins and I’ll check you off the list “ “ Jd wether you buy anything is up to you . I just got to tell my boss I showed you this “ Jd you filled the damm card out . You walked 1/2 a mile to your mail box to mail it back . If you don’t let me show you this I’m going to hire a homeless guy to sit on the public street near your house for the next month “ lmao

“ Mr Jd I drove 80 miles just to see you . Takes 5 mins we can sit right there “ “ Mr Jd takes 3 mins . If it’s something your not interested in I’ll shake your hand and leave “ “ Mr Jd I’ll be out of your hair quicker than the shampoo in the morning “ . “ Jd takes 3 mins and I’ll check you off the list “ “ Jd wether you buy anything is up to you . I just got to tell my boss I showed you this “ Jd you filled the damm card out . You walked 1/2 a mile to your mail box to mail it back . If you don’t let me show you this I’m going to hire a homeless guy to sit on the public street near your house for the next month “ lmao

"sorry about your luck, don't ever come back here again".

And I would never say any of that to a responder. When I dk it's normally because I can't get them on the phone or I don't have a phone number to call them. I simply go to the door. No waving beforehand. I knock on the door and step back. When they come to the door I hand them my business card and show them the card and say, I've been trying to get in touch with you about this. They either invite me in or they don't Either way I'm done with that lead until the next time they send one in. And they will.

There's a bit more to it than that, obviously he only learned part of. :laugh:

He was definitely an old school salesman. Old tie and kit and smelled like cigarettes.

I put my hand on his chest and said something like, if you take one more step you will find yourself planted out there. He was like, whut, whut??

I'll say, yeah, then walk your ass barefoot back to your car and get the hell off my property.

:GEEK::twitchy:

Why am I thinking of the movie Gran Torino?

“ Mr Jd I drove 80 miles just to see you . Takes 5 mins we can ...... "

Ouch! That door hit my nose..... Hello? Hello? Mr JD?

Last edited:
Back