Door knocking

Yeah, I usually text them the day before our meeting and if out of town I text before I leave.

I know trainers say not to, but they aren't the ones knocking at an empty house.

Yeah, I usually text them the day before our meeting and if out of town I text before I leave.

I know trainers say not to, but they aren't the ones knocking at an empty house.

I don’t do a lot of stuff the trainers say to do.

But they are talking to the masses too. So I might say the same thing if I was training. Not the DK’ing crap though.

But for example, SS billing. Other than DE business I don’t care about SS billing.

If I were training new agents I would tell them to make it important.

He was definitely an old school salesman. Old tie and kit and smelled like cigarettes.

:laugh:... plaid suit coat I bet!

IMHO... door knocking is more of an art than a science. There is certainly a right way and wrong way, but most folks give off vibes they aren't even aware of and you wouldn't be able to convince them of it if you tried. People can smell people like that a mile away. In my past, I've walked behind many a training agent and in front of some spectacular performers.

Most folks don't just don't have it, some can learn. Just is. :yes:

"sorry about your luck, don't ever come back here again".

And I would never say any of that to a responder. When I dk it's normally because I can't get them on the phone or I don't have a phone number to call them. I simply go to the door. No waving beforehand. I knock on the door and step back. When they come to the door I hand them my business card and show them the card and say, I've been trying to get in touch with you about this. They either invite me in or they don't Either way I'm done with that lead until the next time they send one in. And they will.

I rarely have to use all my tricks but I explain what the card is as most fill out so many they say “ what’s this about “ . But I’ll turn up the heat if need be till they resist a few times . Then I tear the lead up in front of them . Honestly just give me a yes or no . If there’s no interest I have the same emotion as a yes . I’d guess I get in 90 % of the homes that answer . I really like the blue or yellow card . Mostly because I like showing the return label on the back . It’s been very powerful for me .I’m a firm believer there’s many ways to do things and be successful.

Last edited:
I rarely have to use all my tricks but I explain what the card is as most fill out so many they say “ what’s this about “ . But I’ll turn up the heat if need be till they resist a few times . Then I tear the lead up in front of them . Honestly just give me a yes or no . If there’s no interest I have the same emotion as a yes . I’d guess I get in 90 % of the homes that answer . I really like the blue or yellow card . Mostly because I like showing the return label on the back . It’s been very powerful for me .

If it's important to you then it's important to you. They don't give a shit if its gold, purple, green or flaming red.

I'm not turning up anything. Even keel. Even to the assholes. I don't try to talk my way in. If they don't want to meet with me then I don't want to meet with them. On to someone that does want to talk.

People care about one thing, what's in it for me? Not the color of the card for sure.

How is it "powerful"? Making them remember? They remembered it anyway. That's just usually the first excuse.

Countless times I hear, "that's not my writing, I didn't send that in". Me, "ok, you didn't sign up for anything. I'm not here to collect". Then they completely change. "Yeah, I am interested in getting info on that".

The pretending to not remember got rid of the last guy and the one before that.

But again, if you think it helps you, it helps you.

I agree with others who say it's worth it to push a little.

I'm not going to be super aggressive about it. But I'll absolutely try to push past smokescreens and get in the door.

If I get porched, I'll toss the card and wait for them to send in another. But I didn't lose anything by pushing a little. In fact, those often turn out to be good sits.

FE guy here. Absolutely wouldn't do that. That's just an opportunity for them to cancel the appointment

I've been doing it that way for a very a long time. I would say since my Insurance infancy days. Maybe after my 5th year or so.

It's the same if I am writing SI or traditional policies. Mostly different market than you guys that run leads. So I can see that not working for guys that buy leads on the typical FE market. I think I have one DE client referred, on the book a a hand full of direct monthly. Again just a different client base.

I normally have already gotten all their info including meds, also given them some quote options.

Back in my road warrior days I drive hundreds of miles in a day running appointments. Now I may do a couple F2F a month. I am not driving if they do not want to see me. I have been mostly phone since before phone was cool.

I am not an FE agent. I write SI as just Life Insurance with tables built in. Like my friends last night he had a Stroke a year ago, plus another issue, She has a of couple issues as well. SI made sense for them. But they are not typical FE market.

You work for a good crew, do what they do.

Many ways to do what we do.

If it's important to you then it's important to you. They don't give a shit if its gold, purple, green or flaming red.

I'm not turning up anything. Even keel. Even to the assholes. I don't try to talk my way in. If they don't want to meet with me then I don't want to meet with them. On to someone that does want to talk.

People care about one thing, what's in it for me? Not the color of the card for sure.

How is it "powerful"? Making them remember? They remembered it anyway. That's just usually the first excuse.

Countless times I hear, "that's not my writing, I didn't send that in". Me, "ok, you didn't sign up for anything. I'm not here to collect". Then they completely change. "Yeah, I am interested in getting info on that".

The pretending to not remember got rid of the last guy and the one before that.

But again, if you think it helps you, it helps you.

I’d say the vast # of people look confused when you show them the card . They act like they know nothing about it . I flip the card and show them there address sticker and they know . But again if there hell bent on not letting you in you ain’t getting in . If you pressure them you wasted your time or if they buy they’ll call and cancel . The main think in door knocking is getting past the screener at door . What’s this about ? “ John contacted our office about benefits he might qualify for . He asked that we come out here to see if he qualifies. Works 90% of the time . It’s not necessarily what you say it’s HOW you say it . The difference levels of excitement in your voice very important.

Back